Favorite sandwich

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I just finished woofing down a hot and sweet capacola, procuitto, broccali raab, rosted portabella, fresh mozzarella, sharp provolone, roasted red pepper, olive oil, balsamic and fresh oregano on grilled tuscan bread sandwich.:)

So I wondered what is everyones good ole, favorite sandwich?

Corn beef, slaw, russion and swiss on rye is another one of mine, and of course a toasted new york bagel with lox, cream cheese red onion, tomato and capers :lips:

What do you guys crave on the bread?

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Where do I begin?

Pastrami on rye with horseradish mustard
Fried egg on squooshy white (a childhood favorite)
Ham on raisin bread
Liver sausage with ketchup on toasted sourdough
Peanut butter and lettuce on a kaiser roll
Rillettes du Mans on baguette (in Paris, thank you!)
Egg salad with chopped Greek olives on Italian bread
Roast turkey, tomato, avocado and red onion on Italian bread
Cheddar and onion on rye

Whew!

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
A list of a few of my faves (in no particular order)

-Spicy Capicola and provolone with a shallot-balsamic mayo
-Garlic roasted leg of lamb with roasted peppers, onion marmalade on ciabatta
-a good ruben (harder and harder to find
-a good old hamburger, grilled outdoors with ketchup, mustard (sorry it has to be the yellow stuff) raw onions and pickles
-an "Al's Italian Beef" from the original on Taylor St. in Chicago (of course with the hot pepper relish!!!!)

Joined Feb 7, 2002
My favorite is very simple:

Grilled cheese w/tomato -- has to be on homemade white bread w/Cabot extra sharp cheddar and fresh tomato from the garden!

the ultimate comfort food!!

Joined Jan 1, 2001
Homemade tuna salad and potato chips on whole wheat

Fried grouper on toasted sesame bun w/L, T, & tartar sauce

Thin-sliced rare roast beef with horseradish butter, lettuce, kosher salt and coarse black pepper on good white bread

Tofu Rueben on caraway rye

Joined Aug 11, 2000
BLT with alot of thick goooood bacon, ripe garden tomatoes, hellmens (yeah I know), lettuce and toasted white bread....

Meatloaf with red sauce and mayo

Rueben or cold with slaw hold the Russian dressing add brown mustard

Tuna with capers, olives, red pepper, red onions, artichokes dillweed and mayo!!! on Chiabatta

Grilled veg with tapenade, feta and balsamic on fougasse

Smoked turkey, cranberry chutney, slaw on chiabatta

Grilled cheese with sour pickles

Rare roast beast with horseradish mayo, red onions, lettuce and Great bread.

Standard tuna salad on whole wheat

Muffolata(Central Grocery)

Joined Aug 14, 2000
I hate to display my pedestrian palate but...

Last Sunday I baked up some of Izzy's NY Rye, from Breads From The La Brea Bakery. I ran right to the store and bought Bologna, Yellow American Cheese & Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard :)

Joined May 26, 2001
Hey, Kyle -- looks good to me! After all, my test for any sandwich place is how well do they do a tuna salad on rye?

In addition to some already mentioned, other favorites are:

- Swiss cheese and tomato with mustard on rye
- Egg salad with mustard on rye or whole wheat
- Cuban sandwich -- roast pork, ham, Swiss, mayo, mustard on Cuban roll, pressed in the grill (you can leave out the pickles, but I'll eat it with)
- Hebrew National hot dog (or better yet, knockwurst) with deli mustard, sauerkraut, and sweet pickle relish, on top-sliced Arnold bun
- "Coney island" from Detroit: cheap hot dog topped with chili, chopped onions, mustard (at home, I add shredded cheddar, too)
- Turkey club on toasted challah -- sliced turkey, crisp bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo, OR the variation of TUNA club, using seared fresh tuna instead of turkey.

Joined Jul 2, 2001
I have several favorites, but what goes w/o saying is that they have to be on great bread:

Old fashioned meatloaf w/romaine,nroma toms and thin sliced red onions.

blue crab salad melt

Grilled Pastrami on a really good french roll w/ provelone and mustard

antii-pasta salad on a baguette

I like food:D

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I forgot one very important one-North Carolina style pulled pork with cole slaw on a bun.

Joined Aug 14, 2000
Sloppy Joes from the Millburn Delicatessen, Millburn, NJ

Theses have nothing to do with ground beef and tomato sauce (mother sauce or not) :)

Joined Oct 28, 1999

Yes, sir.... It ain't pretty but it sure do taste mmm, mmmm good!

Joined Nov 29, 2001
My answer is as seasonal as produce!

For instance, in the wintertime, I love to tuck into an eggplant parmagiana hero on a beautiful semonlina roll...

Summer is for breast of turkey, brie, sundried tomatoes either on a wrap or on a toothy sub roll.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Suzanne: bacon on challah! :lol: If that's not fusion cuisine, I don't know what it is... :p

Shroom, don't apologize for the Hellman's- not to me, anyway. I've made my own and eaten plenty of Hellman's, and sometimes it's just gotta be the stuff in the jar. Homemade, to me, makes better dressing for tuna, chicken, etc. salad; or a better dip, or something more on the sauce line. The Hellman's makes a better sandwich, IMHO.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
What!!! No Liverwurst on rye with raw onion and guildens mustard???

(not one of my favs)

I think some of these sandwiches are what keeps Proctor&Gamble and Colgate-Pomalive in buisness :p

Remember to brush and floss!!!

Joined Jan 26, 2001
Start with a hearty grain bread. Put swiss and cheddar cheese, with thinly sliced tomatoes and avocados. On the outside, brush melted herb butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese before grilling. The ultimate grilled cheese sandwich.

I also liked grilled PB&J.

Chicken salad (poached chicken breasts, grapes, celery, red onion, and Granny smith diced apples with mayo, salt, and pepper) served in a grilled pita

And my own creation- cobb salad sandwich- chicken, bacon, avocado, green onion, cheddar cheese, boiled egg, tomatoes, with mayo.

~~Shimmer~~

Joined Feb 7, 2002
Jim ---

Is that a picture of a Pirmani's(sp??) sandwich. I got treated to one of those in Pittsburgh --I think it is a specialty there. Very good -- an acquired taste I think with that coleslaw in there, though.

Dunk

Joined Aug 14, 2000
Liverwurst, bologna and Gulden's aside, I had dinner @CraftBar last night. It's the scaled down, relaxed annex to Craft. They do only 3 entrees/night and.........Sandwiches! Oh, boy:bounce:

We split 2. One had duck ham, sauteed hen of the woods mushrooms and (I forget which kind of) cheese. The second was a more pedestrian, yet no less tasty, grilled chicken breast, oven dried tomato and (I forget which kind of) cheese. They are served warm and pressed. The bread looked like ciabatta (had about the right width) and the whole thing was pressed down to somewhere between 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. Really tasty.

Joined Jun 12, 2001
I don't eat a lot of sandwiches, but my son does. My latest creation for him was a winner:

Sloppy Joe (the regular kind) with romaine and several big fresh basil leaves.

H.

Joined May 26, 2001
Ooh, ooh! I think they make it with taleggio.

Oh well, I'm going to D'Artagnan for dinner tonight. And tomorrow we're having an "osso buco" fest for 12 people, with braised baby artichokes, farro, homemade almond ice milk -- eat your heart out!:p ;)

Top Bottom