Favorite Fall Dish

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefboyarg, Oct 15, 2011.

1. chefboyarg

chefboyarg

Exp:
    Line Cook
    K all with fall in full swing and winter looming just around the corner just curious what your favorite recipes are for these chilly months. I have a chili con carne recipe that has taken me 2 years to hone to what I consider near perfection and a damn good beef stew to boot.

2. dledmo

dledmo

Exp:
    At home cook
    Sausage and 3 cheese manicotti, got the recipe from Bon Appetit several years back and love it.  Chuck roast with roasted veggies.  Winter and fall cooking is great for hearty, stick to your bones, kind of recipes.

3. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    ChefB,

Apple pie. This year I picked up 40 pounds of apples to make my pies, yes its that season. I also like to take a day and make Tourtière, its family tradition.

Roasted root vegetables, hearty thick soups, sweet potato.......ANY potato . its a time for chicken pot pies , making creton, I started my wine. Such a beautiiful time of year, the maple trees, the falling leaves......the harvest is in.

[​IMG]

4. nashvillelife

nashvillelife

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Pumpkin Pie!

5. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    It's time to start using haggis again!

Also venison, hearty beef stews/casseroles and home-made watercrust raised pies!

6. chefboyarg

chefboyarg

Exp:
    Line Cook
    You know since I started cooking all these foods I feared as a child (headcheese - almost made me puke when I ate it at the tender age of 6; haggis; tripe; anything with blood in the name) are all foods I want to seek out and try now. I just learned in order to make blood sausage all you need is a tube and some pig intestines. I think a batch of boudin noir will be a fall/winter culinary goal of mine. I have had it before and love it.

7. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    There aren't many foods that I refuse to eat - but tripe is one of them!  I've had people try to tempt me with the stuff in France, Italy and Spain.

Nope...   I tried it when I was about 8 years old and that experience put me off tripe for life!

8. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm with you Ishbel - it;s the smell of tripe that I can't stand,  Never got beyond that. 

9. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Apart from the smell, Siduri, it's THE TEXTURE....  Boak (a Scottish word which means to 'feel sick' 'to vomit'...)

Got to admit, another thing I'm not too keen on is kidneys...  especially in a traditional English steak and kidney pie..  The smell has a tinge of 'wild' about it!

10. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Well, kidneys - do we really need to eat something full of urine?  and i guess considering what organ it is, boak is a good word to be associated with tripe. 

But i know plenty of people like the stuff.  It's just not for me though. 

11. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I don't recall ever trying tripe - I may have to give it a go, probably some evening my wife isn't home, she probably wouldn't go for it.

But one of my favorite cold weather meals is braised beef short ribs with mashed potatoes smothered with a sauce made from the braising liquid.  Yum.

mjb.

12. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Chicken & dumplings/img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

megrato and inspiredcook like this.
  13. soupwench

soupwench

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Pork roast, mashed potatoes & gravy & peas

Fish chowder with corn & bacon in it 

Pheasant baked in cream sauce 

Tater tot hotdish 

Apparently anything involving cream & butter~ gotta fatten up to survive MN winter! Haha!

jessica1680 likes this.
  14. cookers

cookers

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    At our restaurant, pork dishes are big sellers in the fall. Last weekend I served an oven roasted frenched pork chop with a cranberry and pear chutney, topped with feta cheese. Served with apple mashed potatoes and sauted squash. 

megrato likes this.
  15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Why are pork dishes so popular in the fall?

I love pumpkin pie, pumpkin custard, pumpkin tiramisu, and pumpkin coffee.  I want to try making pumpkin rice pudding this year as an experiment.

16. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Why are pork dishes so popular in the fall?

Probably because they tend to be heavier and richer---just the thing when cooler temperatures prevail.

The same applies to game. Venison, rabbit, pheasant, etc. really come into their own in the fall.

And I agree with you about pumpkin and other winter squashes. They are, sadly, among the least utilized veggies. Yet, as your short list demonstrates, incredibly versatile.

17. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Game!  That's what I like about fall, you're right!  I can only find frozen rabbit around here but it will do for a nice stew.

18. chefboyarg

chefboyarg

Exp:
    Line Cook
    My girlfriend has an intolerance to chicken so I have taken to serving up rabbit in place of it. Perhaps I would be able to sway her to try other game dishes this fall. We served a venison tartare at a place I used to work at. We'd mix it with Italian soffrito, capers, Frank's Red Hot and top it with shallots pickled with Szecshuan peppercorns. Gherkins, crostini and Dijon mustard were riding shotgun. Anyways, it was delicious. One customer proclaimed "This is the best tartare I have ever had!"

The point of all this rambling: game IS yummy.

19. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Soup, I love soup. Just about any and every soup.

jessica1680 likes this.
  20. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Corn chowder and a good chunk of bread for me. Any braised dish as well.