favorite Champagne

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by cape chef, Nov 21, 2000.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What is everyones favorite Champagne and favorite Sparkling wine?
    I love Salon Clos de mensuil for French
    And Rodearer Esates for sparkler
    cc

2. david jones

david jones

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I rang in 1998 with Chef Michael Kornick and the management and culinary staff at Marche, Red Light and Vivo restaurants. Michael tasted all of us out on the tete de cuvee champagnes from the top houses - Moet, Clicquot, Krug, Roederer, Billecarte-Salmon, etc. The Dom Perignon 1990 was a beautiful expression of the vintage and the vintner's art.

For special occasions, I love the Billecarte-Salmon NV champagnes, or good old Veuve Clicquot NV.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    David, I also love the good old le Grande Dame. Your event sounds like a good time.
    How about Krug or Dom ruinart? how do you feel about them
    cc

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    For Thanksgiving, Just a fyi. I bought a few bottles of 97 Deloach OFS Zin, If you can find it all love zins give it a shot, It was truly a fine Zin Packed with jammy black fruits and excellent sweet spice and peppery (black)notes. It is not a cheap Zin But it is more affordable than your singlr Vinyard Ridges and Ravenswood. Although my sis in law bought a bottle of Dickerson ranch and it was a Bomb (very good [​IMG])
    cc

5. david jones

david jones

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We tasted La Grande Dame and a V-C vintage, as well as the Krug Grand Cuvee. All the wines were delicious, but the Dom Perignon really shined through. It's kind of cliche, but side-by-side it was the most enjoyable of the champagnes we tasted. The Billecarte-Salmon Cuvee Elizabeth (i think) vintage brut rose was also wonderful.

There was a Dom Ruinart, but I don't remember which one. I once received a gift of Dom Ruinart Blanc de Blancs '82 that I credit for my love of champagne! I also like their NV wine at a mid-price point.

[This message has been edited by David Jones (edited 11-28-2000).]

6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hands down, my favorite champagne right now is Billecart-salmon. I think the rose is exceptionally good (can't believe I just said that). The good old stand by is anything from V-C.

7. isa

isa

If I have to pick, I'll say Perrier Jouet. Wish I could have some more often though.

8. david jones

david jones

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    NEWS FLASH!

One of my clients just closed on a new location. To celebrate, he opened Dom Perignon '90 magnum, arguably the best format for the wine. The wine is still showing beautifully! It might be my new choice for best champagne (of my lifetime at least).

I will continue my research dilligently.

[This message has been edited by David Jones (edited 12-24-2000).]