favorite bar foods

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by kpollard_2000, Sep 12, 2000.

1. kpollard_2000

kpollard_2000

We're working on a menu for our bar. What are some of your all time favorites. It's a midpriced, midwestern bar. The local favorites are buffalo wings, nachos etc. Have you tried anything different lately that stands out.

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Sweet potato chips with blue cheese dip
    Fried raviolis are HUGE here and actually pretty good...(beef filling breaded and deep fried served with marinara)
    Calamari with lime aioli
    This is really going over the edge with Fat Fried battered quiche
    edames (just steamed)
    Bourbon glazed chicken bites
    cheese straws
    I always adored a great cheese and meat/fruit
    plate with a glass of wine.
    tiropete and spanokopita
    always spinach dip
    oozy melted brie with fruit

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    What? No pickled pigs' feet and pickled eggs and pickled sausages?? (THAT'S how long it's been since I hung out in a bar....). Wings and various forms of fried onions are big around here... pretty traditional territory.

4. kpollard_2000

kpollard_2000

One of my favorites are fried pita chips w/ parmesan and a ranch-jalepeno dip. Another favorite is shrooms....fried mushrooms w/ a cream cheese-ranch filling.....so where did your name come from shroomgirl.

5. david jones

david jones

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The best freebie I've had is Tony Mantuano's rosemary potato chips at Tuttaposto and Mantuano's.

6. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Wild Things not domesticated....noramally wild shrooms are not stuffed and fried. Though I do know a guy that finds HUGE (in size and haul) morels that he insists on battering and frying every Winter Picnic....really messes them up.....real culinary crime.
    There is a bar that also serves beet chips...supposed to be good with beer.

7. cookm

cookm

Wow, I am really plain. I like a good salsa and chip. Hmmm, springrolls. I like hot and spicy shrimp. Sausages.

8. bevreview steve

bevreview steve

Exp:
    Beverage Expert
    I agree, salsa and chips are the way to go... nice spicy salsa! [​IMG]

9. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    At the brewery I was at we used to do a mixed bowl of veg chips (boniato root, malanga, beet, and sweet potato) served with a roasted red pepper stout dip. Huge seller.

10. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

If you're dealing with Midwest palates you want meat, and if you're doing bar food, skewers are the way to go. Use the "right names" for the skewers or not, it won't matter to people as long as they like it and order another.

Beef and/or pork chunks in olive oil, red wine, garlic, rosemary, oregano, salt & pepper etc. (souvlaki)

Chicken in the above minus the red wine, add a little lemon juice (chicken souvlaki)

Chicken (thigh is best) in coconut milk, ginger, garlic, lime juice, curry powder, cilantro, etc. (sate)

Serve 'em with the right dipping sauce --(tzaziki, garlic-cucumber-yogurt-dill with the souvlaki; peanut sauce, ground-roast-peanut-coconut-milk-etc. for the sate) --

or, just something generically nice (a little fresh cut salsa with or without fresh papaya)

good honest bar food cause you can just whip out the skewers when you need 'em. nibblers who don't want a steak or a chicken basket will go for a skewer i bet. do this right and they'll beg you for more.

*sigh* i have a skewer fixation, it's true. it's because worked with a church group to raise money this summer, sold $30,000 of souvlaki in a week with a volunteer crew. people just go nuts for a proper skewer.

[This message has been edited by Live_to_cook (edited September 13, 2000).]

11. cookm

cookm

Yeah, I have this friend who always makes skewers for every single potluck dinner party. Doesn't matter what the theme is, those d**n skewers are always there! [​IMG]

12. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    break off the sharp tips or the drunks will poke their eyes out....

13. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

Good point shroomgirl. Better yet, yank the stick and settle the goods down on a nice toasty round of cushy pita bread, or bit of jasmine rice for the sate...

14. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have to say I've gotten into nachos with a twist, there was a place here that did a really light chip with smoked salmon, chipotle cream cheese and the standard salmon toppings. Yummy and much lighter than your standard nacho.

Again, wings are good, but how 'bout something different than your standard hotwing? A tandoori spiced or oriental stcky wing or a parmesan garlic? People have gotten too focused on the "it has to be hot!" thing and there's not alot at your average restaurant to satisfy . So use your basics but accompany them with something a little calmer. There's a whole bunch of people out there that love food, love flavour and can't "stomach" the heat! (Bad I know, but I couldn't resist. Just look at the TV for one evening, you are inundated with ads for gastric reflux, heartburn upset stomachs, pepsid, tums...

15. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Really good onion rings...vidalla, mahi, 1016 whatever with a light buttermilk batter and blue cheese dressing (Harvest restaurant)
    does a good job with those here.

Boudin blanc steamed....boy I sure miss a good boudin.

16. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We make our own BBQ potato chips. Fry the chips then sprinkle them with our own BBQ spice. Best potato chips I have ever had. How about little empanadas or taquitos? Also check out the last year of Food Arts. They have run a number of articles on bar food recently.

Shroomgirl, I love fried morels! But the only way to fry them is seasoned, dredged in flour, and pan-fried in bacon fat. Try it, it's great!

bigwooly77 likes this.
  17. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    This topic has been moved to the Inside Scoop as it seems to be a better place for it.

------------------
    Thanks,

Nicko
    [email protected]

18. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Bangers and Mashed!

19. cookm

cookm

Hey, shroomgirl, Enlighten me. What is 1016?
    Thanks.

20. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Texas sweet onions....they are huge and that is the # designated when they were developed.
    Texas 1016 like walla walla or vidalia