Fav mustard for honey-mustard?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by riffwraith, Jun 11, 2017.

1. riffwraith

riffwraith

Exp:
    At home cook
    I want to get away from buying commercial honey-mustard, and instead make my own. I have a fabulous raw honey, and bought some Grey Poupon Dijon mustard to go with it. Tastes good for the first few seconds, and then comes this funkiness... hard to describe. Come to realize, I really don't like the flavor of the mustard. Looked for some more Dijon, and found two on my market shelf. The first had sugar, which I am trying to stay away from (the GP has sugar, which I didn't realize), and the second had a preservative called 'sulphite'. NTY.

Who's got a good recommendation for mustard here? I know this is largely personal pref., but am hopeful to find something that a) tastes good, b) mixes well with the honey, and c) has no sugar and icky peservs. If such a thing even exists :/

Or should I make my own?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  2. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Dijon is quite a bit different than a plain mustard - for instance it almost always has white wine in it.

What end product do you want? I read you want to have something that tastes like commercial honey mustard, but avoid things like processed sugars or preservatives?

Let's take a look at French's honey mustard ingredients:

DISTILLED VINEGAR, WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, #1 GRADE MUSTARD SEED, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP, SALT, CARROT OLEORESIN (COLOR), HONEY, SPICES AND GARLIC POWDER.

These are listed in order or parts per.. so.. vinegard, water, and sugar (HF corn syrup) followed by mustard seed.

I'd definitely experiment with ratios of honey, mustard powder, vinegar, and water. The salt will give it the final pop. The rest of their ingredients outside of "spices" which could be.. tumeric, coriander, etc. are inconsequential.

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My favorite mustard  to use for honey mustard is Gulden's brown mustard.  The ingredients are VinegarMustard SeedSalt, Spices and Turmeric.  I don't measure the ingredients but I whisk together mustard, honey, sherry vinegar, salt, olive oil, and a little dash of worcestershire. Sometimes when I'm feeling spunky I'll stir in some mayo or yogurt for added creaminess.

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Make your own mustard. Nothing to it, couldn't be much simpler really.

Here is one I make

3 Tbs yellow mustard seeds

1 Tbs brown mustard seeds

1 Tbs cognac (could be sherry, white wine, beer, apple juice, whatever)

1/3 cup xeres vinegar (could be apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, whatever)

combine all, stir, let sit room temp 2 days, add

2 Tbs honey

s&p to taste

process in blender