Fastest process for making vegan burgers in restaurant

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by blackpiano, Jul 20, 2017.

1. blackpiano

blackpiano

Exp:
    Restaurant Owner/Chef
    Hi guys!
    I have many vegan burger recipes but I'm more interested in the best recipe/process to make them in a fast-paced restaurant. For those of you who make vegan burgers in your restaurant, do you make grain & veggie based mixtures that are ready to form patties to order? Do you make (bake?) batches of vital wheat gluten style patties ahead of time that are ready to throw on the grill?

What's the best recipe/prep process to keep up with 60+ vegan burger patties a day? Note: they MUST not fall apart when cooked on a flat grill top. In my restaurant, we've been using Gardein patties which are fairly realistic and easy to work with but I really want to transition to something in-house. We want to keep our burgers "meaty" and NOT turn them into kale and diced carrot lameness. Our burgers are basically for people who love junk food, but want to eat it in a way that's better for health/planet/animals, etc. Our inspiration would be something like Superiority Burger in New York.

Any help, advice, suggestions appreciated!

2. George jr

George jr

Exp:
    sous chef
    The last time i had to make Vegan burgers my Chef and i used an oats and beans recipe for ours and it turned out quite nicely to be honest. We never grilled ours though as they were deep fried when being prepared(the patty mixture we were using was slightly wet) as to firm up the patties and then we roasted them to order. I'm not sure if thats something that your looking for but it might help you look for alternative ideas to the same old cliche of trying to substitute meat and really adding a new spin on the "bun and meat" burger making. Hope it helps!

3. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I make an artichoke and tofu burger. I make the mixture, portion and patty it, then freeze the patties. To serve they go right in the deep fryer from the freezer. Frying them gets the crispy outside, juicy inside. They are easy to make and are very popular.

4. blackpiano

blackpiano

Exp:
    Restaurant Owner/Chef
    Thanks for the response! Do you use anything for a binder or is it the freezing process that makes them hold shape?
    Would you say the tofu has a meatier texture after being frozen? I use both the tub-style tofu and extra firm in vacuum pack. I'm inclined to try with tub tofu because it will mix in with other ingredients better. Am I on the right track?

5. blackpiano

blackpiano

Exp:
    Restaurant Owner/Chef
    Thanks for responding. How did they keep their shape in the deep fryer? Did you freeze them beforehand? How many did you make at once?