Farm-raised salmon article

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by greg, May 15, 2001.

1. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  2. seattledeb

seattledeb

Oh Greg.... <SIGH>...but thanks for the post...just when you also think you're being healthy...I've bought a lot of farm-raised for us to eat.

Appreciate the info.

3. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks for the corrections and extra info, Dick. I can't believe a member of the press would publish something without checking their facts! :rolleyes: OK, maybe I can.

A little caveat for everyone: never believe what you read, unless it's from a reputable and trusted source; especially on the internet.

4. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Here's the thing, in my opinion. Even with the "biased" warning, people could read your article and decide only to eat wild fish. This could create a drain on an already sorely depleted resource. That the farming of salmon is an environmental problem seems to be a given. So is the extinction of any wildlife species; a subject that I thought the article did not stress nearly enough. Especially when you consider that the two issues mingle. You'll have to excuse me if a took that as being journalistically irresponsible. Especially considering there is a link to a provider of wild salmon, but no mention of which farms in particular are doing a better job, environmentally speaking, in raising fish.

Perhaps, as a chef, this is a quality issue. For some of the general public, it's going to be a "save the environment" pc thing. Which isn't an entirely bad thing; I just wish people would care about it because it's the right thing to do, not just because it's cool.

Personally, I'll take the sacrifice in quality to ensure that future generations will have the opportunity to discuss which is better and hope that your article at least raises awareness of the problems that some of the fish farms are causing. Dick is definitely right in saying:

5. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Perhaps (if it's not too much trouble) you could, underneath the links for finding wild salmon put a link to msc.org's page showing which fisheries are using their guidelines for sustainable management. Equal air-time, so to speak. In other words it's not what you wrote, so much as how the page is laid out.
    I agree that it's important to find a solution that will not "save" (quotations because a lot of what they're doing is bad for the wild salmon, especially the genetic manipulation! grrrr) one species at the expense of others.
    BTW, regarding hog farming: the manure does not always stay in one place. It's usually not intentionally dumped into lakes and rivers, but, like the farmed salmon that escape, accidents do happen. Maybe your next article?
    I think one good place to start, if someone is going to buy farmed salmon, is to point them in the right direction. Go to the Marine Stewardship Council web site, choose either the "flash site" or the "html site" (html will be the quicker one) and click on "consumers". There you will find a list of seafood companies that follow their guidelines for sustainable practices.

[ May 17, 2001: Message edited by: Greg ]

6. chef david simpson

chef david simpson

Have you guys tried the Copper River Salmon? Very good stuff!!

7. kimmie

kimmie

8. seattledeb

seattledeb

Yes..CR Salmon is pretty huge here in Seattle...highly advertised "that it's coming" ...anticipated...enjoyed..then gone, only a short season.

9. live_to_cook

live_to_cook

The next time wild salmon was available here would be the first time. But I promise that if I see it, I'll buy it instead.