Farce on the outside?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, Oct 31, 2003.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Anyone have a technique for putting the farce on the outside instead of the inside?

Kuan

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Kuan,

I used to do a couple of preparations with the farce on the out side.I always wrapped in in caul fat to hold it on and to moisten as it cooked.

Example, I would trim out lamb loins and season and quick sear,then I would use the loins tenderloins to make a farce with pistachios,garlic and mint an egg yolk.When the loins cooled I would lay out a large peice of saran,on top of that I would lay the caul fat (after soaked and rinsed)then I would lay on the farce with a off set pastry froster,place the lamb on it and roll it up tightly,crimp the saran to tighten and put it in the fridge to set up.

After I would undo the saran (the fat would adhere to the farce) and I would pan sear and finish in the oven for a few moments.

This I do with pork loin with an almond and dry fruit farce,again useing the tenderlion as the base of the farce.of course you can do things "ala wellington" and wrap things in pastry.

What are you looking to try?

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I was thinking of using a lamb loin as well. This way I could serve a farce with the loin without making the loin well done. My concern was making the farce stay in place and retaining a nice shape, and also retaining moisture.

Last time I tried I added the farce on one side of the loin and didn't do caul fat. D'oh!

Thanks for the tips CC. Always on the mark :)

Kuan

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We used to do a similar dish using salmon. We seared off a 3 oz. portion of salmon then wrapped it in a salmon-shrimp mousse and wrap that all in blanched romaine leaves. We would wrap this little package in plastic wrap, so it would retain its shape, then steam them until done.

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    This is really inelegant compared to what you guys are discussing, but how do they keep the sausage mixture on the outside of Scotch eggs?