Fancy Food Show in NYC

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by suzanne, May 24, 2002.

1. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Is anyone planning on going to the NASFT Fancy Food Show at the Javits Center in July? Is anyone exhibiting?

2. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I went two years ago, and was actually a little disappointed, at the aisles and aisles of folks with little booths of endless jellies and jams, more designed for retail 'gourmet' shop businesses than the restaurant/catering business.

There were few products that really turned me on - except for the wonderful section in the 'foreign products' section, where there were rows and rows of olives, olive oil and cheeses from Italy, Spain, Greece, and France! Blew me away! Came away have finally learned the differences in regional oils and their flavors and colors.

Also enjoyed meeting the folks I did - Dean Fearing was there, with his new line of sauces; talked with Tommy Tang - don't know if he was exhibiting or what, but saw him just walking around and smiled and said hello, and we ended up chatting for about an hour. Saw Bobby Flay, who looked like - well, I won't go there. And tasted Charlie Trotter's new line of sauces - yum.

There was a small producer of hams and bacon from Wisconsin, and couldn't stop going back for the samples of their fabulous bacon!!! Out of this world!!

Is the restaurant show more geared toward catering/restaurant businesses? I'd like to attend one of those.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dear Suzanne,

Although I have been to this show a hundred times, it would be a great oppurtunity for some of us to get together again to storm NYC...

I agree with Marmalady, it's condment overkill, but some of the venders have some cool stuff, besides we can eat and drink for free all day. Then maybe we could hit the bubble lounge :)

If interested, PM me.

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I went to Fancy food in NYC the year Ben (of Ben and Jerry's) was scooping their new chocolate chip cookie dough icecream. Been to Chicago for the show the past 3 years....always have pre-conference catering and newsletter seminars that I find really helpful. Michael Roman is super inspirational. I find all kinds of shtuff at FFS. Last year the Chicago show had a Beard tasting afterwards<think I posted about Matrachet's foie oreo, and Blackbird's salmon on guacamole with corn chip>

5. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    When is it? Maybe I'll join you all.:bounce:

It's a fun show, but it is geared more towards retailers than chefs.

6. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Educational Programs:
    Friday, July 5th - Tuesday, July 9th (separate admission)

Show:
    Sunday, July 7, 2002 10am - 5pm
    Monday, July 8, 2002 10am - 5pm
    Tuesday, July 9, 2002 10am - 4pm

Jacob Javits Center, 12th Avenue and 34th Street, NYC

$25 if registered by June 7th; $50 thereafter

http://www.fancyfoodshows.com for info and online registration. You have to scroll down to the bottom of the screen to "Attendee Show Registration" and "Education Program Registration."

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Marmalady, why not register...

we can all get together and explore the show.

Even if it's not the greatest thing on earth, it will still be fun to hang out

8. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hi, CC, Just wrote Suzanne that I'd probably be able to come in on Sunday - sounds like fun!

9. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I'm going to try to make it there too.:bounce:

10. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey, Momoreg!!

Isn't that your "real" birthday?

sounds like a chance to have some fun!! ;)

11. the saucy cajun

the saucy cajun

I'm jealous! I bet no one here but me is going to the LA. Foodservice Expo in New Orleans in August!
    The Saucy Cajun:(

12. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Hmmm... Let me think. Lots of food, NYC... OK I'll go:)

13. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    August in New Orleans.....Nope. I've experienced 100+* with 100% humidity in N.O. and it was not raining, and it was not fun.

14. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    YOU're jealous? What about all of us who can't get down there to join you??? Well, maybe not about being in NO in August, but I'll bet it's like being in the French Market with everything available to taste!!:lips: :lips:

15. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    CC- July 7th is my other birthday.;)

I think it'll be great, birthday or not!

16. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    No, I won't pay your registration for you, :( but ...

If any of the new-ish members are in the NY/NJ/CT/PA area: Please join us at the show!!! Don't be shy! Even if you mostly lurk, it would be great to meet you.

It's looking like Sunday, 7/7 will be the day. We'll figure out a meeting place and time, and I'll post it on this board. You can always PM or email me for details.

Y'all Come!

17. chloe23

chloe23

Sounds like a fun event. And I would love to join everyone, but too bad I already made plans to go to Canada :( Can anyone tell me what kind of stuff they show? I'm new to this since I never thought there is such a thing as a food show. I learn something new everyday :)

18. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
  19. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    What about old-ish members? It might be a good chance to let you see where all that spouting comes from. Any good deals on rooms anywhere?Do they still do the fireworks thing on the river?
    The "Y'all Come" made me feel invited.

20. the saucy cajun

the saucy cajun

But Suzanne,NEW YORK CITY! To me, THAT'S where there's "everything to taste". I LOVE NYC, with all the ethnic neighborhoods! Oh well, I guess the grass is always greener. Tell you what, ya'll tell me about all your "finds", and I'll tell you mine!
    And taste a bunch for me!
    The Saucy Cajun