Family meal, staff meal

Joined Sep 28, 2014
What are some of your guys go to family meal ideas/recipes?

Something that is fairly quick, or not very labor intensive. Most likely by myself making for 10 or 15 people.

I've done enchiladas, tacos, simple pasta dishes.

Any other awesome unique recipes.younguus whip up for your staff that is always loved?

I know anything edible is greatly appreciated because it's something to eat, just looking for some quick ideas to wow the staff. Thanks everyone

Joined Jun 7, 2021
Pro forum violation
i

Seafood Marinara Over Linguini

This has been a hit everywhere I've made it. It is my SIL's favorite pasta dish. I served it to him at his wedding reception..

A rich tomato sauce with steamed muscles, clams, sautéed scallops, and tiger shrimp make this a treat. The flavors are enhanced with fresh garlic, chopped onion, and a robust blend of seasonings, all served over seasoned, al dente linguine.

Ingredients:

• 12 mussels thoroughly rinsed and cleaned
  • 12 littleneck clams thoroughly rinsed
  • 8 large shrimp peeled and deveined ( I used 16-20 count)
  • 8 ounces crabmeat lump or claw
  • 16 ounces marinara
  • 2 cloves garlic fine chop
  • 1 tablespoon fresh basil fine chop
  • ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon parsley fine chop for garnish
  • 12 ounces linguine or your choice of pasta
  • 8 oz. scallops
  • 3 tbs. cooking oil
Marinara Sauce:
  • 15b oz. Tomato Puree
  • 6 oz. tomato paste
  • 15 oz. crushed tomatoes
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp. dried Rosemary
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 medium yellow onion, minced
  • 2 tbs. EVOO
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
In a large Dutch oven, over medium heat, heat the EVOO until fragrant. Add the minced garlic, and onion, along with the marinara seasonings. When the garlic becomes fragrant, add the tomato products. Reduce heat to simmer. Lightly season to taste with S&P. Cover and let simmer.

Thoroughly wash the shellfish three to four times under cold running water to remove any grit. Discard any shellfish that remain open when tapped, as these are dead, and not to be eaten.

Place the minced garlic, fresh basil, and red pepper flakes into a frying pan with the oil, over high heat. Sautee for 3 minutes. Add the shell fish, cover, and cook for about 7 minutes, or until the shellfish open. Add the scallops, crab, and shrimp. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Place the linguini into a pot of salted, boiling water, and cook for ten minutes., or al dente. Add everything from the seafood pan to the marinara sauce. Remove from heat. Drain the pasta, and plate. Divide the seafood equally on the plates. Cover with sauce, and Asiago, or Pecorino Romano. Enjoy with a suitable beverage.

I have many other recipes if this one isn't what you are looking for.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Sep 28, 2014
i

Seafood Marinara Over Linguini

This has been a hit everywhere I've made it. It is my SIL's favorite pasta dish. I served it to him at his wedding reception..

A rich tomato sauce with steamed muscles, clams, sautéed scallops, and tiger shrimp make this a treat. The flavors are enhanced with fresh garlic, chopped onion, and a robust blend of seasonings, all served over seasoned, al dente linguine.

Ingredients:

• 12 mussels thoroughly rinsed and cleaned
  • 12 littleneck clams thoroughly rinsed
  • 8 large shrimp peeled and deveined ( I used 16-20 count)
  • 8 ounces crabmeat lump or claw
  • 16 ounces marinara
  • 2 cloves garlic fine chop
  • 1 tablespoon fresh basil fine chop
  • ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon parsley fine chop for garnish
  • 12 ounces linguine or your choice of pasta
  • 8 oz. scallops
  • 3 tbs. cooking oil
Marinara Sauce:
  • 15b oz. Tomato Puree
  • 6 oz. tomato paste
  • 15 oz. crushed tomatoes
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp. dried Rosemary
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 medium yellow onion, minced
  • 2 tbs. EVOO
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
In a large Dutch oven, over medium heat, heat the EVOO until fragrant. Add the minced garlic, and onion, along with the marinara seasonings. When the garlic becomes fragrant, add the tomato products. Reduce heat to simmer. Lightly season to taste with S&P. Cover and let simmer.

Thoroughly wash the shellfish three to four times under cold running water to remove any grit. Discard any shellfish that remain open when tapped, as these are dead, and not to be eaten.

Place the minced garlic, fresh basil, and red pepper flakes into a frying pan with the oil, over high heat. Sautee for 3 minutes. Add the shell fish, cover, and cook for about 7 minutes, or until the shellfish open. Add the scallops, crab, and shrimp. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Place the linguini into a pot of salted, boiling water, and cook for ten minutes., or al dente. Add everything from the seafood pan to the marinara sauce. Remove from heat. Drain the pasta, and plate. Divide the seafood equally on the plates. Cover with sauce, and Asiago, or Pecorino Romano. Enjoy with a suitable beverage.

I have many other recipes if this one isn't what you are looking for.

Wow, sounds amazing. Would love to make this sometime. However I'm looking for the budget friendly staff meals. You know use the usual chicken breasts, maybe some beef scraps, pasta, rice. Definitely not doable cooking all that seafood for 15 people. But thanks for the input chef.

Joined Nov 27, 2012
huevos rancheros.

Spicy tomato chili sauce, sautéed veg, fried eggs, black beans and ideally some chorizo(but any protein works, the fattier the better). Serve it all on top of some white corn tortillas heated up with lard, top it off with more tortillas, sauce, fresh cheese and coriander. Its a crowd pleaser every time. garlic bread on the side.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
Easy, cost effective, and classic - Spaghetti Carbonara

The secret to this dish is its creamy texture, and umami flavor that comes from panchetta, or bacon, even side pork if you so desire, together with a silky texture, and a bit of spice.

Ingredients:
1 lb. belly bacon
2 lbs. spaghetti noodles
2 large eggs
3 tbsp. EVOO
1 tbsp. coarse grind black pepper
4 cups water
2 tsp. salt

Fry bacon until lightly crispy, Remove from heat, crumble, and set aside. Bring the water, seasoned with the salt, to a boil. Add the noodles and cook for about 9 minutes or so. Strain, and add the bacon with drippings, and pepper. Immediately crack the raw eggs into the hot pasta, and fold in vigorously. The heat of the pasta will cook the egg. Stirring it will create a smooth sauce in the carbonara, without scrambling the eggs. Serve with grated, hard Italian cheese, garlic bread, and a beverage.

Option II
Tuna Melt

This classic is economical, easy, and tastes good. It's also very easy to ptrpare.

Ingredients:
3 cups canned tuna, in water
1 cup Miracle Whip Salad dressing
2 yellow onions peeled and coarsely chopped
3 tbsp. grainy mustard
6 oz. sweet pickle relish
American cheese slices
Whole grain bread

You will need a half sheet pan, aluminum foil, and a broiler.
Mix together a tuna salad. Place enough on a single bead slice to cover. Place cheese slices on top. Put open face sandwich onto your foil lined sheet pan. When the pan is full, place under the broiler until the cheese melts, and just begins to brown, Remove and serve hot.

Option III

American Goulash

This is my own creation. It is inspired by the goulash my dad made at deer camp every year. I've tweaked it a bit to make it heartier.
Ingredients:
3 lbs. 80/20 ground beef
1 large white onion, roughly chopped
1 green bell pepper seeded, and chopped
1 sweet red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
45 oz. tomato puree
8 oz. tomato paste
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. granulated garlic
2 tsp. dried oregano
3 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried Rosemary
1 tsp. died thyme
1 tsp. summer savory
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
3 tbsp. EVOO
3 cups Cavatapi, or rotini noodles

Brown the ground beef in a Dutch oven, or large stewing pot. Add the
seasonings onion, sliced mushrooms, and peppers. Add the tomato products. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.

Stir 3 cups water into the sauce to make it soupy. Add the pasta to the pot. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. The pasta will absorb the extra water, thicken the sauce, and be flavored by the sauce. Serve with crust bread and butter.

Option IV
Rich Stew
Savory, loved by everyone, and feeds a crowd.

Ingredients:
3 lb. chuck roast
2 onions, cut into leaves
3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and sliced thin
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. sweet paprika
1/4 cup Lee & Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce
8 russet potatoes, washed, peeled, and cut into bite-sized pieces
4 carrots, washed, peeled, cut into 1 inch slices
3 stalks celery, washed, sliced
2 cups whole kernel corn, drained
1/2 cup butter
1 quart beef broth
3 tbsp. cooking oil.

Cut the roast into 1 inch chunks, Leave on the fat. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Sprinkle salt all over the meat. Heat oil in the Dutch oven until shimmering. Add the meat. Let it brown for 3 minutes before stirring it. Repeat until browned on all sides.

Remove the meat to a bowl and set aside. Add the butter, and four to the pot, stirring over mi\medium heat until it turns medium brown in color, Slowly whisk in the beef broth to form a rich gravy. Add the meat, veggies, herbs and spices back into the pot, along with 1 cup of eater. Cover, and simmer for three hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so. Remove the lid, and let the gravy reduce to desired consistency. Serve with dinner rolls.

Option V
Sloppy Joes

You loved them as a kid. Well this version, my own creation has won over adults, by the score. Make lots.

This is the original “meal in a pan”. As an example of the “tailor it to your taste” principle, my wife's idea of Sloppy Joe Sauce is completely different from mine. But hers is really good, and exceptionally easy to make. However, this is recipe so your going to get my sauce. After you get the idea, you can make your own, modified to fit your family's tastes. You can even use the store‑bought stuff if you like it. I won't tell.

Ingredients:

1‑4 oz. can tomato paste
1‑6 oz can Tomato Sauce
1‑12 oz. can dark red kidney beans
½ clove minced garlic
½ medium yellow onion, diced
3 heaping tbs. chopped green pepper
1/4 cup dark brown sugar (for Diabetics, substitute an equal
amount of Splenda brand sweetener and a tsp. of molasses)
1 tsp. Chili Powder
½ tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1 bay leaf, crumbled
2 tbs. olive oil
1 lb. ground beef

Place ground beef into a 12 inch covered frying pan and place over medium heat. While the pan is warming, add the olive oil to a 1 quart sauce pan and apply medium heat. Add the garlic,
onion, and bay leaf to the oil and sauté until the onion turns translucent. Add the remaining ingredients, stir until well blended, cover and turn down heat to simmer.

Lift the lid from the ground beef and break up the meat into bite sized chunks. Lightly salt the meat, stir, and cover. Check the meat and stir the sauce every five minutes until the meat is cooked through.

Drain the meat into a suitable bowl and place the juice in the refrigerator for later use. Combine the meat and sauce and serve over hamburger buns.
I hope that gives you a few ideas.

Last edited:
Joined Jun 7, 2021
Prize Winning Hot (very spicy) Chili

Ok. Due to popular demand, here it is in all its unbalanced glory. Think sixes. In fact, I think I'll call this recipe Chili #6 .

6 lbs. diced tomatoes (pour off the juice before adding to the pot)
6 lb. can Kidney Beans
6 lb. can Pinto Beans
6 stalks Celery, sliced
6 lb. ground beef (good quality stuff)
6 ea. dried Tabasco Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers,
3 ea. Dried Ghost Peppers
1/2 tsp. dried 7Pod Douglah Powder
1/2 tsp. Carolina Reaper Powder
2 green peppers
1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
3 large onions
2 tsp. ground Coriander
1 1/2 tbs. ground Cumin
17 oz. hot Chili Powder
1/4 cup freshly-chopped Cilantro
3 squares unsweetened Baker's Chocolate
¼ cup masa harina
Mesquite flavor Liquid Smoke to taste, or better yet, grill the ground beef over smoky hardwood, with the lid down, before breaking up for the chili.

Brown The ground beef and set aside. In a huge pot (must hold about 7 gallons) add the canned stuff. Chop the onion into bite-sized pieces and throw into the pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for two hours, stirring every fifteen minutes or so to prevent burning the chili to the bottom of the pan.. Remove from the heat and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Put into meal-sized freezer bags and save for future use, leaving enough out for a good meal. serve with softened, fresh corn tortillas broken ad added to the bowls, or with good cornbread with butter.

Well, you asked for the recipe. So there you have it. Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Chie Longwind of the North

Joined Jan 17, 2015
Rice biryani, chilli con carne, stews( tagine w cous cous, curry w rice, etc), pasta ragu, pizza, mac&cheese, chow main, noodle soups. All these dishes are cheap but nice as they are made on site. I make them with a lot of vegetables and just a few bits of meat. I actually make most of them vegetarian then add a bit of meat for met eaters as I now always have vegan/vegetarian staff to feed and don't want to make different meals for them. Staff always appreciate it as these are home made, I don't use processed food but any leftovers, offcuts go it the pot.

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
American Goulash

this is somewhat off-topic but this recipe reminds me very much of a favorite in my family’s past, also. Camp food from when we were “upta camp”. Big pot; stayed warm nearly forever and folks could eat as they wanted. Needs crusty bread (or cheap white bread). One or the other. My grandfather called it “slumgullion”… ever hear that term?

Joined Jun 7, 2021
American Goulas is also called slumgullion, and American Chop Suey, depending on where you are from. It is often a simple can of stewed tomato, sliced onion, ground beef, and elbow macaroni. That;s how my mother made it. I like it better the way I make it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom