Factors determining bread structure?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by hannibal, Jul 7, 2005.

1. hannibal

hannibal

I've been playing around with some recipes for a 'Turkish bread', which many of you may or may not know of. Anyway, I'm getting some pretty unsatisfactory results, and I was wondering if anybody might be able to shed some light on the subject.

The kind of structure that the finished product should have is quite chewy, but firm, and with very large air pockets evenly distributed throughout the loaf. These large air pockets are the most elusive factor, and most of my loaves come out looking like a regular sliced white loaf (i.e. cotton wool...). I know that the dough has to be very wet and sticky (about 80% water or thereabouts), and that you must be careful not to deflate the dough when dropping it on the pan, but the loaves are still not quite right.

Does anybody know if there is some additional factor which needs to be considered, like fermentation time or protein content or something like that? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Please post your recipe and methods, it'll be easier to identify what may be the problem.

3. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    As Headless Chicken said, post the recipe and the type/brand of ingredients you're using. Factors affecting bread can be numerous with individual factors and when they're combined with other factors including environmental conditions such as humidity and temperature. The more specific you are, the better we may be able to advise.