Evil eye on chefs...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by athenaeus, Dec 7, 2001.

1. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    We were talking about Evil Eye on pets...
    In Greece we believe that the evil eye affects a very good cook and suddenly with no particular reason the food he prepares is destroyed:eek:
    These stories are very common among ancient nations...

What is the Evil Eye?
    People here belive that if a beautiful person walks on the street and people are admiring it , this energy of admiration is accumulated on the person who suddenly feels dizzy and ill...
    Of course this happens if people admire you for certain reasons.
    If you bake excellent cookies or if you make the best wedding cakes or the best kokoretsi. Just ordinary everyday things... hehehe

So if you want to prevent your self form the evil eye you have to wear a small blue bead...
    They say that people with blue eyes can give you the worst kind of evil eye.

Housewives in Greece take certain simple precautions to avoid evil eye while they are cooking.

If they prepare a lemon sauce with egg they send two or three air kisses to the bowl while they are stirring the sauce: Mouts mouts mouts :D So your lemon sauce is aways a hit!!

When they are baking cookies they have to stay silent and think continously of their loved ones. This is how they keep away the jealousy of the neighborhood.

The best is for backlava. In order to prepare a good backlava you have to have around your best friend and gossip continously! This is easy to explain why they say that. Backlava is so sweet that it can neutralize the bad words of gossip !!!

BUT if the damage is done. If you have the Evil Eye on you , someone must say the particular spell that removes the evil eye! Remember you must not sleep having the evil eye on you!!It's very dangerous!!

If you do not have anyone that knows the spell, send Athenaeus an email.
    I know the magic words but I cannot tell you because I will lose my powers to remove the Evil Eye...
    The spell must be trasfered to you in Easter by a man...

I am positive now of what you are thinking about Greeks...

:smokin :p :rolleyes: :D

2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    When I was spending my summers in Greece as a kid I must of heard this story a hundred times along with the same old women reading my fortune in the coffee grounds. I have never been a superstious person, but my Greek aunts all belive very strongly in this. To this day I have never owned a blue eye, I prefer the owl for the symbol of wisdom. :)

3. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    :lol:

Ok but if you ever feel dizzy with no reason drop me a line to start the ...ksematiasma ( remember ? ;) )

4. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yes I remember but the belife of this was stronger with different areas of my family. For instance my relatives in Connecticut belive very strongly in this and do say the prayers when they get a headache. My other relatives here in Chicago don't belive in this but they are very strong in the Greek Orthdox church and put more faith in this than the prayers to remove the evil spirt. I always found that very interesting the difference between the two groups and their beliefs in the evil eye.

I will keep you in mind next time I get a headache Athenaus. :roll:

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Athenaeus,

I Cooked all day and I have a big headach

Should I be concerned with this evil eye ?:suprise: :crazy:
    cc

6. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Bond,

Like me you must get many headaches.... :D

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oh Bond, You got me :)

TOUCHE

i KNEW i SHOULD OF LEFT THIS THREAD ALONE
    CC

8. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    I was trying to be informative but Bond started AGAIN!!!

You have headaches if someone is thinking of you too.

:)

9. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    But it isn't just headaches, it is any number of things. I don't like the idea of losing your cooking skills because someone is jealous of you or thinking of you.... If that was the case then Cape Chef would of lost his skills a long time ago.

10. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I love you Nicko:blush:
    cc

11. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks! I had a terrible headache and It's over after this!

12. nicko

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Ahh a such a fiesty and fun thread.... I think it would be interesting to hear the history of the evil eye and how it got its start? Athneaus please step up to the mike...

13. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Athenaeus, I bought a blue "eye" bead while in New Orleans. I had wanted one since I was a kid and visited the Greek neighborhood of Chicago. Well, I lost it and ordered another! Is it okay to give them to loved ones as a gift?
    I have a glass one over my front door, can you have too many??
    Thanks!
    Here is my source:

http://www.casacorazon.com/webstore/..._id=8530578_79

14. nancya

nancya

My mother taught me the secret of the hex...which must be the northern version of your evil eye.

The best thing I can do with it, of course, is to make a man's hair fall out!

mwah ha ha ha ha! [​IMG]

15. kimmie

kimmie

Does it work, Nancya? [​IMG]

16. nancya

nancya

Just ask my balding brother......[​IMG]

17. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    :lol: Nancy you are really something!!

May I have this "recipe" please. I could use it on my rivals in courts...

Mbrown. I checked in the site you sent but I didn't see any blue eyed beads... Maybe I didn't search well the "Kitch" department!!

Seriously now. It's ok to give blue beads for gifts but to close ones.
    If you want to wear this bead on you then it must not been visible!!! In case you don't have a bead all you have to do in order to avoid evil eye is o wear a shock backwards, I mean all you have to do is not to be perfect!!So even if someone sends you his bad energy the energy won't harm you because it harms only perfection :p ( That's why Nicko I was worried about cc's skills... ;) )

As for the door we do the same every Christmas and New Year

The blue bead as decorative is never used alone!! You have to hand along a pomegranate (symbolizes abundance) and... a horseshoe because it symbolizes strength...

Newly weds especially the groom should step on a horse shoe you know why... in order to be efficient as husband, I mean never to get tired... (I know, husbands are optimistic creatures, they think that what you wish most in your life is to exhaust them... :p)

I can talk about those things for hours.

I Forgot the most important!!!! Plants are getting the evil eye too.
    I have some blue beads on my gardenias and my beloved roses!!

And wine drinkers too!!
    Ancient Greeks used to have on their drinking cups that they were like bowls, two eyes that they were looking at you angrily...
    I think I will scan a couple of pictures of ancient greek drinking cups to see what I mean.

Dear Nicko as you see, I took the mike and started karaoke AGAIN :lol:

As for the origins I really have to check and study I do not have every answer in my pocket :)
    You confuse me guys!!
    I thought that were going to talk about cannibalism and I was searching about the origins of this interesting habbit :p

18. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    This is a scanned picture of Sir John Bordman's book, Athenaean Black Figured Vases.

This is a drinking cup, called kylix.

Look at those angry eyes...

19. pastachef

pastachef

And all of the time and energy I've spent working on cursed ground, believeing I had to have a green thumb.....:lol:

20. wolfgang4711

wolfgang4711

I'm getting a headache over all this talk about headaches:D