Ever read any of these?

Discussion in 'Cookbook Reviews' started by pinarello, Sep 16, 2002.

1. pinarello

pinarello

Hi to everyone, I would like some book reviews on the following books before I buy, because I naturally can't buy them all!
    Or not yet anyway!
    thanks.

1. Invention of the Restaurant, Rebecca L Spang.

2. Salt, Pierre Laszlo

3. What Einstein told his cook, Robert L. Wolke

4. The Complete Restaurant, Elizabeth Lawrence.

5. Endangered pleasures, Barbara Molland.

6. The Forth star, Brenner.

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Those that I know are quite different in subject matter:

What Einstein told his cook, Robert L. Wolke is subtitled "Kitchen Science Explained." It's along the lines of Russ Parsons's How to Read a French Fry or Harold McGee's books: lots of science, very clearly explained. I happen to be a sucker for this kind of book; I loved it.

To research The Fourth Star, Leslie Brenner spent a year in Daniel Boulud's kitchen, observing just about everything. This is not a puff piece, though. I've also got American Appetite: The Coming of Age of a National Cuisine by her. It won't necessarily settle any of the ongoing arguments, but it's well written. She's a good journalist. Also a good cookbook writer.

I don't know the other 4, but from the titles they sound interesting. I hope others can provide some information.

3. w.debord

w.debord

Oh no, I'm not familar with any of those. BUT if you ever want to talk about baking books, I'll be here ready and waiting!

4. isa

isa

Go ahead Wendy I'd love to hear your thoughts on baking books. :)