Espresso flavored cake?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by petespoiled630, Feb 2, 2018.

1. petespoiled630

petespoiled630

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Wanting to make a espresso flavored cake(batter) , I'm looking for some recipes, helpful Insight..

2. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Just add espresso powder to any of your cake recipe. It's that simple.

drirene, ilha and harpua like this.
  3. petespoiled630

petespoiled630

Exp:
    Line Cook
    How much espresso powder? I know it varies by taste, but would be a good starting point

4. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    One cake I make is a dry-ish vanilla cake in a tube pan. When cool it gets soaked with espresso or strong coffee mixed with rum. Then whipped cream is piped over the top and sides and is finished with chopped dark chocolate.

Just an idea to consider. Would you like the recipe?

5. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    I'd say as much as the main flavouring called for in your recipe. For example, if it calls for 1 tsp vanilla extract, then adding 1 tsp espresso power would be a good start.

6. theaterman

theaterman

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I've tried various instants but the freeze-dried flavor always comes through unless the product is very complex with other flavors. I hate to add to the complexity of a recipe, but this worked very well for 2 types of buttercreams, and I've thought of using it for a basic cake flavoring:
    My solution for a delicate coffee buttercream: (based on 'normal' being 24g coffee to 16oz water) Make a minimum 4x to maximum 8x concentrate, using milk at 195dF instead of water. Best results I had were with a standard French presse pot using a dark French or Italian roast. Use this concentrate as the liquid in the recipe.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    drirene likes this.
  7. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    Beautiful! And thanks for tip.

8. theaterman

theaterman

Exp:
    Home Chef
    --- Caterer friend said I left out important point: the coffee-milk-concentrate must be cool before adding to especially an Italian meringue type buttercream where heat is already a problem. And I should add that a similar water-based concentrate can be diluted 1:1 with standard heavy syrup to make a dark colored but clean flavored brushing syrup for the insides of any dry Genoise type cakes.