Ergo knives what do you think of them?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by nicko, Apr 28, 2010.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    [​IMG]

Saw this today and although it looks "Cool" it looks extremely uncomfortable to use for an extended period of time. Wonder if anyone is using these ergo shaped knives and if so how do you like them? 

2. Guest

Guest Guest

haha, the guy fieri knife... funny thing is i don't even see guy fieri using it. i can't speak for these knives, but the Shun Ken Onion looks awkward as hell, but is actually comfortable to hold.

3. kristopher

kristopher

Exp:
    Line Cook
     I don't like when my knuckles hit the board I don't know about you but I am pretty sure my knuckles would make regular contact when cutting with that knife. Then again it could just be the perspective.

4. joshua47

joshua47

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I haven't used one, but I've seen them. To me, they look kind of crappy. Keep in mind though that I've not tested it myself! That being said, I laugh at Mr. Fieri and whatever he endorses, so my opinion's automatically very biased. What's the price on that, anyway?

5. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Even RayRay wouldn't use that!  Yikes!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I like my blade in line with my handle, not angled like that.

7. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
     I agree Phatch. Looks like you would hit your knuckles as others have pointed out. I also think that the angled handle would not be healthy for your wrist over pro-longed periods of time.

8. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    If you use a pinch grip or most any blade grip, that sort of handle actually looks like it would be trouble to work with.

I't almost makes me respect "Chef Tony" and the useless ball grip he has on his junk blades. At least he recognizes how the knife is held.

9. the boardsmith

the boardsmith

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Wow!  Even has flames!  I'll bet it cuts better with those flames.  LOL :)

10. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It could be a good knife. One never knows till you try it. that being said, that one does look like a knucklebuster, it even says knuckle sandwich on it for crying out loud.

My knife has a somewhat ergo handle on it, i like it. It's plenty comfortable and since I got the heel ground it rock chops like a champ, a bit heavy but i like that in a blade.

pic of my knife (ok, not mine per se, but one just like it)  http://www.cutleryandmore.com/large/7039.jpg

11. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The shape was created to allow cooks with carpal tunnel syndrome use a knife.  

I've watched Fieri's technique.  He has decent skills.  He does use a pinch grip, and tends to work with the handle off rather than over the board.

I've never tried a knife with that sort of ergonomic handle before.  It doesn't look particularly comfortable to me.  But what do I know?  I haven't tried it.  My general experience with "ergo" handles is "waste of time."  I've never met one I've liked enough to even make me interested.  But since a pinch grip does most of its work on the blade it tends to be more rather than less forgiving of handle varitation. Anyway, it's probably premature to draw conclusions without giving the handle a try. 

Handle aside, it's a good knife NOT to buy because (a) it's made from crap steel (X50CrMoV15 at hardened to 56HRC); (b) has lousy, "full radius," blade geometry; (c) has kullenschiffen; (d) it's made from crap steel; (e) they chef's aka big stick only come in one size, 8", which is too short; and (f) it's made from crap steel.

Did I mention the crap steel?

BDL

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  12. chefkutz

chefkutz

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The Ergo Chef Knives as well as the Guy Fieri Knuckle Sandwich series knives are the most comfortable knives I have every used.  I highly recommend.

13. martyajr

martyajr

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Marty here. I am brand new to the industry. Currently enrolled at Le Cordon Bleu. We were "issued" Mercer knives. They are comfortable for me. However, as I progress thru my career, i'm sure to try different knives. The ergonomic knife looks comfy. If you think it would be a good fit, let me know. I will get one and try it out.

14. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    About a year ago I started a thread on the same question as this thread. 

Does Anyone Know About These Guys .........................

My interest was based on the idea that the classes I teach are filled with very impressionable people who watch a lot of TV. "I saw this, that and/or the other thing on TV. What do you think Chef, should I get it?"  TV is an ocean full of sharks. I agree with Nicko in that it looks "cool". I don't know how much "cool" equates "quality" in this instance. I've had surgery for carpal tunnel 3x's. I don't think any of my problems came from or could be helped by any special knife handle. Then again, I could be wrong. YMMV (I love using that lately). Hey BDL ... what's your opinion of the steel?    And seriously, I don't really get the problem with granton / kullenschiffen edges. Would you please educate us a bit more please. TIA

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  15. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Lets see now...

Granton edge:  Check

Kewl looking shape: Check

Forged bolster: Check

Kewl looking soft-as-baby-poo-handle with design: Check
    Signature etch:Check

USB port:  No....

Oh well, 5 out of six is pretty good, send it off to the marketing boys and it should sell..

Can you say Carpal tunnel syndrome?

16. chefknivestogo

chefknivestogo

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hi Nicko,

It's been a few years since we last talked. There are a number of issues with this knife. It does look cool.

17. chefstewart

chefstewart

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sorry, just saw this. I own 4 of these knives and they are very good. The grip on them is awesome, it is designed to be comfortable to the hand, which they are. It also has a rocking motion on it which makes it a lot easier to cut with. It is also very well balanced. The Shun knives are very good too but I like these knives!

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  18. tom421

tom421

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Have had for over a year and I have had no issues hold edge and sharpen just fine as for the crap steel mentioned. You have no clue!!! What crap is, except for comments.

19. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    LOL. That's good. Crack me up. Thank you for finishing off my evening before I go to bed. 

Mr.Shill ... meet Mr.Shill.          Thanks for coming. 

20. onepiece

onepiece

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have a hard time believing these are better than Shun.   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif