Epicurious website

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by coulis-o, Feb 19, 2010.

1. coulis-o

coulis-o

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  2. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's not bad. I used to frequent it 10 years ago until one of the members there told me about cheftalk. I've never looked back.

3. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Just be careful, as there is a coterie of members there who seem to believe in contention for its own sake, and are always starting flame wars. The moderators, meanwhile, have a very weird sense of balance, and do little to control the strife.

I was active there for several years, but finally walked away because of the devisiveness that rules, and the refusal of the admin people to address the issue.

4. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Epicurious?  Really?  It always seems to be filled with nice ladies who cook for their families.  Maybe you mean "the other guys"?  (egullet?)

5. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Nah, ah, Phoebe. I know exactly what I mean. I could give you a list of such episodes, I could.

Think not. Here's a test. Start a thread at Epi asking if anyone's heard from Gretchen lately, and see what happens. Then, after the furor dies down, I'll tell you the whole story.

Alternatively, ask why there's no PM program anymore.

Based on being a member for several years, I can tell you that in my experience, Tanya Steele has to be the worst administrator on the web.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  6. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    wow!  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gifI had no idea.    And here I was thinking it was just a pleasant recipe place.  
    And remind me never to doubt you again.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/blushing.gif

7. left4bread

left4bread

Exp:
    mgmt
    it's tempting just to hear the story...

I just go to that site when I need a basic recipe for something and my memory isn't working.  Mostly just for home cooking.  Haven't checked out their forum, though.  Now I have to.  Hehe!

Hey Phoebe/Emily!  Nice to see a fellow 'hamster on here. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
    Small world.

8. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I use epi for searching recipes as well.  I like that all the recipes have reviews and always read them when I seek out a recipe.  Not too long ago I was searching for a souffle recipe and all the reviews said that while the recipe states that it serves 6-10 it really only serves 4-6.

As for the forums, I was a member and can assure that Kyheirloomer is right on all accounts.  I never want to hear the name Gretchen again.

9. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I didn't even know they had forums.  I only use it for recipe ideas.

10. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I never want to hear the name Gretchen again.

Koukouvagia, just because you look cute with smoke coming out of your ears......

Gretchen, Gretchen, Gretchen, Gretchen, Diane.

Snuck that last one in to see if you were paying attention. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

11. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Leeniek, at one time all their recipes came either from Gourmet or Bon Appetite. They are, after all, Conde Nast's on-line connection.

Lately, however, I notice they've been importing more and more recipes; many of which are untried. To me, that makes them no different than any other recipe dump---that is, the jury is out on any recipe found there.

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Oh I'm definitely awake.  Feels good to be away from dumb and dumber for so long.  It's been a little over year since I've abstained from the epi drama.  I don't miss Chubbs in the slightest either.

13. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
     Guys, can we kill this thread? No hard feelings but it keeps coming up in our featured threads, activity feeds etc and I don't want to send the competition any more traffic than we need to.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif