Entry level, low budget chef knife (newbie pls don't shoot me)

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by fox2, Jan 8, 2018.

1. fox2

fox2

Exp:
    Hey all,

First wanted to say I'm enjoying reading here as this forum is full of useful information!

As I am an amateur cook and am looking for an entry level chef knife (8 inch) at a low budget (hopefully under £35) it seemed almost as a 'no-brainer' to get the Victorinox Fibrox (£24) to start with.

However after some browsing I have found a Tojiro DP 21cm chef's knife (B-Stock) for £34 and I am wondering whether the difference is significant and should I invest a bit more (I have a big hand so don't think the 'boxy' handle should be an issue).

In addition I have also found these two -

but couldn't find any reviews online so wanted to ask for your opinions.

I would prefer the knife to be as low maintenance as possible as I am not very keen on sharpening it too often.

Which one would you go for?

Many thanks,
    Ben

2. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Use tinyurl for any url's that are to big to get posted here. Don't know why this became a problem, but has for a few months now.

35 sterling for the Tojiro DP is a super price, unless "b-stock" is something bad.

3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    B-stock, generally, is either blemished or a returned item. Sometimes just as good a a-stock.

4. Jin

Jin

Exp:
    Line cook
    Pick up knife sharpening skills early will help you greatly. Any knife can be sharpened to be your best tool:)

5. fox2

fox2

Exp:
    Doesn't that mean that it is flawed/ damaged?
    Is it like 'refurbished' with electronics?

Here are tinyurl for the other 2 knives I've seen:
    Godmorn-
    https://tinyurl.com/ya4ct9w7
    pro cook-
    https://tinyurl.com/yb3wv4j3

6. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    With knives I have no idea. If anything it probably means visual flaws, if a second, rather than damaged. With a return... who knows. Could be just opened, looked at, and returned. I would expect to have to inspect the exact item to determine if there is an issue or not. With electronics and pots I’ve had good luck with b-stock buys.

7. fox2

fox2

Exp:
    Update -

The Tojiro is unavailable (received and email from the shop). From the other 3 options which one would you recommend?

8. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You're probably talking absolute crap stainless, terrible thick grinds and lousy F+F. All the money for these kind of made-in-China things goes to giving the appearance of elegance in the photo. Stick with names that have real reputation instead of phony reviews.

Now what are you going to do about sharpening?

9. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The Vic

ChefTeddyB likes this.
  10. ChefTeddyB

ChefTeddyB

Exp:
    10 years
    Hey Ben,

I have been cooking professionally for around 10 years now I have fancy Japanese Aogomi Blue Super knives, I have VG 10 steel knives and have used all sorts of knives but I always go back to my Victorinox. If I am on the line working hard, moving quickly I need a knife that can take a beating, will be easy to sharpen and will hold an edge, the Victorinox is a fantastic knife at all these. And at around $40 it's a no brainer. The chef's knives are great but all there specialty knives are pretty great as well. If you plan on doing some fine dining where precision is the focus rather than speed and efficiency then spend a little more money and buy some fine Japanese knives.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018
    rick alan likes this.
  11. ChefTeddyB

ChefTeddyB

Exp:
    10 years
    Yes! Go with the Victorinox

12. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
  13. aliphares

aliphares

Exp:
    Home cook
    The Vic is your only option then. Avoid the ones you saw on Amazon at all costs. They're cheap Chinese stuff and they're useless. If you really really want a Japanese knife and want something to play with and learn how to sharpen, get the tojiro ITK or a tosa knife. But since this is your first knife, I suggest the Vic first, leave those till, when you want to learn how to take care of knives and sharpen them. Expect bad F&F (fit and finish) from both. Hence my support to the victorinox.

14. fox2

fox2

Exp:
    Wow I really appreciate your replies - very helpful. I agree with starting with something basic and good and then moving up if there is a need. I also thought the vic makes the most sense since it's highly rated by everyone but am a bit annoyed by the handle (for some reason from the photo it looks cheap and fragile, but I'm sure in reality it isn't).

The other knives I linked before say they're made of German steel so not sure what you mean by poor chinese quality. Can someone explain? Is there a way to judge which has the better blade?

Anyway today I'll have a look at the ProCook and vic, hold them and have a general feel keeping in mind that all of you strongly suggest the vic :)

15. markos sdranis

markos sdranis

Exp:
    apprenti
    Besides the quality of the steel you use, there are other things equally important to get good results. Heat treatment is the first thing that comes to mind. Then there's quality control. Could you get lucky and get a good knife at a bargain price? Maybe, I haven't tried those knives, but the victorinox is guaranteed quality. The other 2 knives do look stylish but are probably shit. One is 55 +/-2 HRC, the other is up to 58 HRC, so who knows if they are legit. Judging from the pictures, unless dishes as cutting boards, uneven dice, and fingers parallel to the cutting board/dish is how you use these knives to their full potential, I wouldn't trust them.

16. fox2

fox2

Exp:
    I understand, great explanation.

Okay so I've had a feel for both the procook and the victorinox and I was amazed by difference between the photos and real life for the vic. It feels much more rigid and balanced than I thought it would, and much nicer than the Procook. To conclude I bought it :)

Haven't done much research about sharpening so don't want to bother you with noob questions before I even read anything but since you are reading this already I would appreciate any tips, guides or pointers on the easiest way to do so (am currently using a fist size whetstone but not sure it is the proper way to do it now that I have a proper knife).

Thanks again for all the help and tips, you've all been really helpful!

17. aliphares

aliphares

Exp:
    Home cook
    I suggest just watching videos. Jon from JCK has an entire playlist on YouTube I suggest you watch that. The Vic is a good place to start learning, you don't want to start learning on expensive knives that you might ruin. It's all about practice and getting a feel for it honestly.

18. loomchick

loomchick

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The knife is only one part of the equation. Proper use and maintenance is critical and an often overlooked aspect.

You may be interested in checking out the free knife skills class on Craftsy.com. I don't agree with 100% of what is covered; however, it provides some really good information about technique and taking care of knives.

https://www.craftsy.com/cooking/classes/complete-knife-skills/35338

19. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I would suggest reading Chad Ward's An Edge in the Kitchen. Excellent about basic knife care and sharpening.

azenjoys likes this.
  20. galley swiller

galley swiller

Exp:
    At home cook