Enchilada fillings

Joined Aug 11, 2000
What do you fill your enchiladas with? include whether you use something different than a flour tortilla as a wrapper.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I prefer corn tortillas. Fry them briefly 'til they're pliable, dip in the chile sauce, fill and roll.

I use a stewed chicken deshebrada. The leftover stewing liquid becomes the basis for the chile sauce.

Phil

Joined May 26, 2001
If you start using something other than tortillas for the wrappers, then you're getting into other ethnicities, such as canneloni or filled crepes.

I once made Enchiladas Suisas (chicken, mornay sauce, green chile sauce, in white corn tortillas) for my Mexican co-workers. They were really surprised and, dare I say, pleased.

Joined Nov 12, 2002
I use Corn Tortillas in my enchiladas. I like to lightly pan sautee them, smear them with a thick sauce made from the reduction of dried chilies and chicken stock infused with aromatics then just pureed. As far as fillings go shredded or pulled tender meats or poultry, roasted vegetables and sharp aged cheeses seem to stand up well in this earthy rustic style of food.

Garnish this up with fresh limes for squeezing and plenty of whole fresh cilantro leaves and pickled jalapenos and you have a light dinner, yum! yum!

ChefDude1

Latest posts

Top Bottom