Electric Knife Recommendations Needed

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by kokopuffs, Aug 5, 2002.

1. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hi to all and tia.

I need recommendations for an electric knife that will be for slicing a slab of bacon into strips. The problem is with the rind: sometimes it's too hard to slice using a typical chef's knife.

2. kimmie

kimmie

I don't think an electric knife will be useful for slicing a slab of bacon. What you need is a meat slicer. There are various price ranges. I would recommend a professional one. Seems I'm not the only one of that opinion. Check the following:

Forum

Meat slicers

More

Kenwood meat slicer

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Kimmie:

At this forum awhile back I inquired as to which meat slicer I should get for doing bacon slabs about every other month. Some one posted (I'll paraphrase): get an electric knife, trust me on this one.

Keep in mind the frequency of usage and the size of a slab of bacon.

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I've used and owned several electric knives over the years, and my impression is that a build-up of fat would accumulate between the blades as they shuffle back and forth. I could imagine having to stop frequently to clean the blades. But I do see your problem; a hard rind would make uniform, thin slicing difficult. Is there a reason you would want the rind to remain on the slices? Or could your problem be helped by removing the rind from the whole flitch before slicing?

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Mezz.:

Rind removal is a pain, too.

Also, I thought that electric knives used only one blade instead of two that goes back and forth.

6. kimmie

kimmie

I still stand by my meat slicer. Once you own one, you will tempted to slice a lot more than bacon slabs, trust ME on this one! :)

7. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Kokopuffs, both of the electric knives I've owned (one Hamilton Beach, the other Sunbeam, I believe) had two blades moving in turn. If there were an electric knife that had a single blade, that would address the clogging problem.

Are you on good terms with a butcher or deli that would consent to slice the bacon for you, either free or for a modest charge?