el rey chocolate, can we talk?

Joined May 29, 1999
I did not like this chocolate at first, BUT,
once I got used to using it and finding the rich flavor of the milk chocolate and the beyond bittersweet of the extra bitter, I must say I really like the stuff. Not for all uses but great for flourless chocolate cake and the milk for mousse. the white has a true cocobutter bent to it.
Any thoughts?
This stuff has big flavor.

------------------
bake first, ask questions later

Joined Mar 4, 2000
I tried it 5 years ago, when it first started becoming popular, and it didn't taste all that special. As I recall, it had a very sharp, acidic aftertaste. I tasted it next to the Callebaut that I usually use.

I would be willing to try it again. Sometimes my tastes change. After all, I like Scharffenberger, and that is not a mellow flavor at all.

I'll try to get a block, and do another taste test. I'd like to check out the white too. I don't like the Callebaut white very much.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
I did an assortment with ElRey, Callebaut, Scharrfen berger, and nestle....

Normally I use Valharona, but I really am into ElRey and Sharfff right now...I didn't have to get used to it...

Lindt is the white chocolate I use. alittle toooo sweet but better than other's I've had.

Joined May 29, 1999
mur,
love the el rey white, very rich, round and full flavored. not like the sweet overly white white chocolates often seen on the market.
smiles.gif

Joined Sep 7, 2002
ElRey have a special chocolate called San Joaquin Private Reserve
Price is much higher then anyother of their chocolates.
I wondered how does it taste like?
Said to be made from the famous Ocumare Criollo bean.
What's specialty of this bean?

Top Bottom