Eggs... for dinner

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, May 13, 2013.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I love serving eggs for dinner.  But aside from a fritatta I need more ideas on a good egg dish that can be served for dinner.  I'm always up for an over easy egg but have never made baked eggs or coddled eggs.  Any ideas?

2. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Egg pizza open omelette. Kids love it.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Scrambled eggs and sausage wrapped in a flour tortilla, smothered with enchilada sauce, chopped onion and cheese.

mjb.

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
  5. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I used to make open-faced egg white omelette with melted fresh buffalo milk mozzarella and oregano on top. Simple but good.

6. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Schnitzel a la Holstein. 

BDL

7. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Use a wide pan

Sweat off 1/2lb of rough chopped cooking chorizo with an onion and lots of garlic and add a tin of chopped tomatoes. Add a tbsp of sweet smoked paprika. a good slug of lea & perrins, a good pinch of chilli flakes and dried oregano, a pinch of sugar. Season. Reduce so its a bit sticky.

Basically you've made a thick, spicy tomato sauce with meaty chunks

Add chopped aubergine ( eggplant) and simmer for 10 mins lid on. Add courgette (zucchini), red pepper and simmer for 5 mins. Add lots ofbaby spinach then quickly make 4 indents and crack an egg into each one. sprinkle with a 50:50 of mature cheddar and parmesan Lid on again till the cheese is melty and the eggs are still a wee bit wobbly.

You can make it in individual coccotte dishes, but we all like 2 eggs each so the big pan works best with garlic bread and rocket and red onion salad. 

Its a lovely dish to serve for up to 6 people using the sauté pan. we just stick it on the table so you can help yourself. Up the recipe to 1lb of chorizo and use 12 eggs. 

8. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    FF,
    sorry to barge in and not to hijack this thread but the 'tortilla de patatas' would be a great addition to your 'ponchos' menu if you you choose that route.....all things being spanish,paella also comes to mind, although no where near ponchos...just a thought

joey

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  9. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    How many ways are there to cook an egg?

Didn't some culinary student post that question a while back, expecting an easy answer to the homework?

mjb.

10. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    The father of Culinary  Escoffier  acknowledges the number at 100, in fact the Chef's Toque was created with 100 folds with that in mind.

11. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Egg curry.  The next time you make curry, whatever curry as long as it has some gravy in it, hard boil a few eggs.  Eggs are great in curry.

12. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Eggs Portuguese.. Benedict with Filet Mignon or Roasted Planked Salmon.  or just waffle with fried egg and sausage and bacon  crumbles

13. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Nice ED,

I like mine poached in chicken broth.

14. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Scoth eggs should be on your playlist, Koukou!

Preferably served in a tomato sauce with mashed potatoes.

We have a young chef who opened a new restaurant called "Balls & Glory", serving only... meatballs! One of his creations is Scotch eggs, made in a very clever way which I haven't tried yet, but I certainly will. Here's how he makes them; the day before, put the raw eggs in your deep freezer. Next day, prepare the meat, peel the frozen eggs, wrap the meat around the eggs, get them through a flour, eggwhite, panko serie and bake at high temperature in the oven. The yolk has to be still runny... 

http://www.ballsnglory.be/

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You know, the very first time I was introduced to Indian cuisine was at a friend's house when I was 18yrs old.  I had never had Indian food before.  Her mother served lamb curry with hard boiled eggs in it.  The curry sauce was very dark, almost black!  I've never been a fan of lamb so naturally I was horrified.  I had nightmares about those eggs afterwards and I've never liked curry since.  True story.
    Eggcellent idea!
    One of my favorite all time dishes.  But isn't a tortilla de patatas the same thing as a fritatta?

16. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    All good ideas thank you.  I went along the lines of what bughut describes.  Except I sauteed some diced potatoes, scallion and cubed kielbasa with a little oregano and smoked paprika.  I stirred in some cream cheese, topped it with cheddar and made little wells for eggs.  Baked in the oven uncovered.  The eggs came out lovely and almost cooked with a runny yolk but the potatoes came out mushy, maybe yukon wasn't a smart choice.

17. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    It looks like a total success ! I really enjoyed that you incorporated kielbasa and smoked paprika, it is a favorite of ours.

Your potaotes came out a bit mushy because they were cooked twice (saute/baked) ? Small dice and toss in next time ?

Your dish is lovely.

18. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
  19. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Nice dish KK. Nutritious also.

Now i remembered Eggs Chau Fan, but i don't know if you're into Chinese cooking.

20. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Bisquik egg pie, recipe is on their site. Like a thick pancake batter with lots of eggs, bacon, sauteed onion, shredded cheddar. Can add just about anything for a filling. I have made a tex-mex version with taco filling, a pizza version where I kept it thinner and topped with pizza sauce and extra cheese. A shortcut fast meal for everyday cooking.