Eggs baked in avocado?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, Jul 12, 2013.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
  2. minas6907

minas6907

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I don't really see why it wouldn't work, pretty much along the line of shirred eggs.

3. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It's really delicious!
    I have a photo somewhere...

4. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    As written I'd say no - that top picture has been styled. Blow torched - whites scraped off the egg yolk to give a 'sunny-side-up' appearance without the clear gel that you'd normally have (or thin white layer).

It was seasoned after cooking - as the salt granules are not disolved - they don't even mention salt in the recipe.

You could make it work, but it'd be a bit of trial and error.

To keep the green colour I'd brush them with some type of neutral oil before adding the eggs. (prevents oxidation)  Maybe hit them with a spray oil after putting the eggs in instead?  

I'd likely season the entire avocado then put the egg in and then season the tops.

The short cooking time of 15-20 minutes is kind of funny as you're going to have to preheat the oven for 15 at least which they don't include.....

I can make scrambled or basted in less than 8 minutes and that includes pre-heating time for the pan.

I might try it just for the flavor combo experience, but I don't think it would ever turn into my 'go-to' morning meal though.

5. thatchairlady

thatchairlady

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Have had success with this technique.  First recipe I saw said to hollow out some of the avocado to accomodate the whole egg?!?  I'd rather that ALL of the AVO, so just used yolk in handy-dandy hole.  Recipe called for preheated cast iron skillet and something like 12-15 minutes baking time.  Though tasty, yolk was pretty much completely cooked after that amount of time.  The next time, I went for only 5 minutes and yolk was perfectly "dippy" the way I like it.  I've topped with salsa and generous amount of cheese.

At some food site, someone suggested dicing/scooping avocado into a ramikin (sp?) and just cracking an egg on top.

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I'm wondering about the cooked avocado.  Just seems like the avocado oils will cook and become nasty at 425.

@chairlady and @kgirl was your avocado fully ripe?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  7. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I'm a huge fan of avocados, but don't like them cooked/baked/or grilled. 

I halve them and stuff them with fresh crab or shrimp salad. An egg salad stuffed avocado would be tasty too.

8. thatchairlady

thatchairlady

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yes, avocado was totally ripe.  Only in oven for about 5-6 minutes, but started in preheated cast iron skillet.  Egg was cooked the way I like it (runny yolk) and avo was just hot... not BAKED to pieces.

9. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've never cooked avocado, what does it taste like and what's the texture like when you cook it?  Does it retain its green color?