Eggs and Tacos

Joined Oct 9, 2008
One thing I have learned over the last 30 years of cooking is that eggs are a major ingredient in pretty much every cuisine. To some degree, in English-dominated cuisines, eggs are primarily relegated to breakfast, and to being used as ingredients in something else where they won't get noticed (like cakes, for example). But elsewhere, eggs are big: French oeufs mollets over spinach with white sauce and cheese, for example, and so many, many other examples from around the world. Eggs are cheap, quick, nutritious, delicious.

So this leads me to believe that it cannot be true that in Mexico, eggs are almost exclusively used (in savories) for huevos rancheros. I just don't believe that. There must be egg dishes in Mexican cuisine that aren't breakfast or dessert. In the US, at least, if you Google any combination of "eggs" and "Mexico," you'll turn up breakfast and desserts, but I believe deeply that this is a function of search engines (and my very weak Spanish).

Does anyone know enough about Mexican cuisine to give me some tips here?

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Interesting
I have 2 mexican cookbooks on my kindle and decided to check them.
Each only has 3 egg recipes and all of them are breakfast recipes!

Joined Dec 18, 2010
In some parts of Mexico, San Luis Potosí for instance, a common filling that is available for gorditas is scrambled eggs and Chile (red or green). I’ve also seen egg and chorizo in that same role. In general, though, it seems fairly universal that egg dishes are a breakfast, brunch, and light lunch ingredient.

Joined Aug 13, 2019
In my experience eggs are used more for lunch and dinner, but there are some dishes huevos divorciados, chorizo with huevo, chilaquiles, etc.

Joined Apr 25, 2011
I agree with above. From my experience, there are a lot of Mexican egg dishes, but they are all breakfast/brunch.

Maybe it was a Mexican thing first that Americans and Canadians adopted.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Maybe it was a Mexican thing first that Americans and Canadians adopted.
You're probably kidding, but it's worth pointing out that this is famously a British thing. Nietzsche lived in England -- in London, I think -- for a while, and remarked, "One can eat very well in England -- so long as one only eats breakfast." A "full English" is fried eggs, grilled sausages (sometimes several kinds), baked beans, and grilled tomato, which is a lot better than it sounds.

My problem is that my son hates eggs for breakfast, and now that we're middle-aged my wife and I don't like the way they make us feel all morning. We adore eggs prepared in other ways, for lunches and as part of dinner dishes, but Anglophone cookbooks tend generally to assume that, unless it's explicitly stated otherwise, obviously everyone mostly eats eggs for breakfast.

Joined Apr 25, 2011
chrislehrer chrislehrer LOL. Yes. And I feel your pain. And our solution is to throw any time restrictions to any dish to the wind. Fried Chicken at 7am? Let’s do it! Eggs Benedict for supper. I’m in.

once you lose the BS constraints of traditional ways to eat things. Life becomes way easier.
(However, I really gave not eaten fried chicken for breakfast since my 20s. And that was probably 3pm. Lol)

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Once in a while we have breakfast for dinner. Grits, eggs, bacon, etc., or a couple of Johnny Cakes with eggs and sausage. When I make fresh "Bangers" I make the full on English breakfast sans beans (allergy), but good luck finding a ripe tomato this time of year.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I eat a lot of SE Asian food and eggs are common there, very often as a fried egg.
Nasi goreng (indonesian fried rice)
Pad ka praw (thai stir fry with thai basil)
Egg fried rice
But also boiled eggs, or eggs boiled and fried
Telor belada (in chili-tomato sauce)
Telor katjang (in sate sauce)
And lots more
And here a standard dinner item is steak egg and chips ;)
Plenty options, I just don't know of Mexican ones

Joined Oct 9, 2008
butzy butzy Exactly! I've mentioned French dishes -- and there is usually a good-sized section of any French cookbook that is devoted to nothing but egg dishes, few of them breakfast.

In Japan, eggs are a huge part of dinner; a particular favorite is oyako-don, which is egg and chicken gloppy yum poured over rice, one of the most popular basic home-style dishes for all ages. In addition, raw eggs are very popular, often as a dip: you have hot stuff like just-poached meat or fish from the hotpot, and you dip it in a beaten raw egg and wolf it down. Delicious!

I've eaten striking egg dishes in both Italy and Germany, often as a lighter dish, like a first course, along the lines of the French frisee au lardons.

So yes, I'm fully convinced that there must be Mexican egg dishes that aren't breakfast!

Joined Oct 9, 2008
The one thing I've thought of is budines (sp?). These are puddings, which in Mexico apparently include a lot of savory puddings. I seem to recall that you can take greens, blanch and puree them with a little bit of raw chiles or tomato or whatever, beat in a basic custard mix (i.e., eggs), and then poach the things in a bain-marie. But I'm not sure how you go about eating them, or with what course.

Joined Apr 26, 2012
Breakfast... which is a meal that only really became widely popular in the 1800's, came about more among the industrial revolution... when going to a workplace was necessary and workers generally needed energy earlier.

Which brings us to eggs. It is not quite clear why eggs became a breakfast staple. However, it is likely, since on a farm it was typical to go get the eggs from the chicken coop in the morning. It is a myth that chickens will only lay in the morning, so I won't propagate that theory. It is, however, true that chickens will follow a cycle of laying... so if they are "trained" by the farmer collecting the eggs in the morning, they will likely have a cycle that is synchronized that way. The likely reason for collecting eggs in the morning was to bring them to market during the day, and so part of the regular chores beginning the day was to gather eggs.

So the likely reasons for starting the tradition of eating eggs for breakfast were a combination of things which made it convenient, easy, and practical to eat your eggs in the morning.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I absolutely love Flan it's like the perfect desert IMO. We have chickens ergo we have eggs so before the weather gets too hot before the AC goes in I ought to make some.

Top Bottom