Eggplant Parmigiana/ whats not to like

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chefbillyb, Sep 5, 2011.

1. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I try not to order this out because I am disapointed almost everytime I do. There is one Restaurant in Spokane, the other one is in Rome that do a good job with it, other wise they kill it. A good Eggplant Parmigiana is a labor of love to make, so thats why I only make it for the people I love.
    Fried Eggplant ready to layer in the dish:
    Fresh Mozzarella Cheese layerd with the Eggplant and sauce:

Ready for the oven after building a few more layers like this:

Hot from the oven:

A nice piece ready to eat after it set up for about 25 minutes:

This mornings breakfast, a Eggplant Parm Grinder, the best breakfast I have had in weeks:

Enjoy.......................P.S. when your frying the Eggplant in the bread crumb minture, make sure you have asalt shaker close so you can taste the wonderful crispy taste of the fried eggplant when it's hot....................pnwc

#1 [​IMG]

titleAndStar(554,0,false,false,"","", "AuthorImage664775", "AuthorTitle664775");
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    ChefBillyB,

It looks absolutely wonderful, love the sandwich too. Its hard to find good eggplant parm. here...thanks for sharing the pics.

Petals.

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Looks great to me and better because you use FRESH mozzerella.  Only problem I find  is trying to get bitterness out of eggplant. I soak them first now. Again it depend where they are from and what season of year they are harvested abnd grown

4. indygal

indygal

Exp:
    At home cook
    I agree Chef Ed B I was taught to salt eggplant slices and allow them to set to draw out liquid & bitter taste. Rinse, pat dry and then proceed with your recipe. But I've noticed no cook books I own suggest that. I do not do that when making eggplant dip, though. Guess the baking removes the bitter taste? D

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Dips and Babaganoush are roasted in most cases and are handled dififferently. Cook books are not always 100% right.

6. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I Slice, salt, and layer the eggplant between paper towel's. I slice my eggplant thin and then bread and fry, I think the process of "get the water out" of eggplant would be more important when using  thicker slices. I learned this from a chef/Restaurant in Rome...................ChefBillyB

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  7. pambaca227

pambaca227

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yum!!!!!

8. highlander01

highlander01

Exp:
    Other
    Those pics made me hungry ..... and I just ate!!!!!

Seriously though those pics looked amazing

The government should use pics like that as a form of interogation ..... let prisoners go hungry for several days and then show them pics like those .... they would tell them anything they wanted to know for a plate of something like that.

I do have a question about the grinder though .... I take it that there is only eggplant parm on the sandwich?

9. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    [​IMG]

The Grinder roll term was used in Connecticut, when I was growing up they had, Eggplant Grinders, Meatball Grinders, Italian Meat Grinders, and so on. The roll I show in this picture are the ones we make for our Cafe, they are called Hoagie rolls out here...........The Eggplant was reheated in the oven with some Fresh Mozzarella cheese and put on the roll. If I had to pick a favorite meal, Eggplant Parn is in the top 5 on my list.....................Take care................ChefBillyB