Egg whites for meringue

Joined Dec 18, 2010
What, if anything, is the functional and final product quality differences between egg whites used for meringue pastries - egg white (shell) vs egg white (mechanically separated in carton) vs powdered egg white (meringue powder)?

Joined Dec 30, 2015
If I don't know and the flavor is spot on, no difference.
If I know, the difference is HUGE. ;)

Joined Sep 26, 2017
The fresh whites make a slightly more stable foam.

The one in cartons is usually pasteurized so that affects the whipping quality a bit; it will take slightly longer to get the desired peaks.

As for powdered egg white, I've only used it as a supporting ingredient to make the foam more stable. I've never used it 100% by itself.

Joined May 5, 2010
IMO powdered egg whites work better than fresh. They are more stable and will not weep.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
It’s been my experience that the frozen egg white will not make a decent Italian meringue, or any type of meringue that requires a hot syrup. They whip well cold, but are just sh*tty for hot syrups.
O.t.o.h, fresh egg whites, preferably ones that have been separated and sitting in the fridge for at least a week are ideal for Italian type meringues.

I’m curious about the dried though. How much powder to replace one egg White? How much water? How long to dissolve?

Joined May 5, 2010
foodpump, One tablespoon of powder plus an equal amount of water equals one egg white.
It takes moments to dissolve and it whips up fluffier IMO

Joined Mar 31, 2019
IMO powdered egg whites work better than fresh. They are more stable and will not weep.
Are you talking about Meringue powder or powdered egg whites. Guess I don't know the difference. I have used meringue powder a lot for royal icing but not for meringue for pie topping. Please help as I am not have any luck with eggs in carton at the store or farm fresh eggs. I get weeping no matter what I do.

Joined May 5, 2010
Are you talking about Meringue powder or powdered egg whites. Guess I don't know the difference. I have used meringue powder a lot for royal icing but not for meringue for pie topping. Please help as I am not have any luck with eggs in carton at the store or farm fresh eggs. I get weeping no matter what I do.

I'm talking about powdered egg whites.

Latest posts

Top Bottom