Egg Shells

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by faithnmrb, Apr 24, 2002.

1. faithnmrb

faithnmrb

I found the following medieval recipe for candy eggs made with almond paste. The paste was put into egg shells and baked for about 10 minutes. I have almond alergies in the family and I like the idea on putting a treat in an egg shell but I can't use the paste. Is there any other sweet or cake that can be baked in an egg shell? Copy the link to see the original recipe.

www.godecookery.com/nboke/nboke38.htm

2. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    you could use apricot kernal paste in place of the almond paste!

or you could bake a polenta cake batter in the egg or pound cake. just leave more space for the cake to expand!

great site by the way.
    thanks for the link.

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Or, you could use hazelnuts.

It's a cute idea.

4. annie

annie

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Wow - I like that site. I just went to two lecture/tastings, and the first was "Arabic INfluences on Medieval Cooking" so this site is timely. I've read those old recipes, and always wondered how they would taste. The tastings at the lecture were delicious!

Back to the filled eggs: have you had any experience blowing out eggshells to color for easter? Cute idea, but can be a near death experience -sort of like blowing up those thin balloons. This isn't mad - :mad: it's actually close to how I look, gasping for breath about half way through the first egg! :D

5. faithnmrb

faithnmrb

Annie,

:D I've had the same problem too. If you use a skewer and kind of scramble the yolk and whites together before blowing them out, it's a little easier. Not much, but a little.

6. faithnmrb

faithnmrb

The original recipe states to bake the eggs for 10 minutes. If I were to use a cake batter, should I be concerned about extended baking time? I guess I should just try it and see how long I can bake the shell before it explodes. :lol:

7. risa

risa

It took me a while to find this old post, but I was sure that I read about cake in an egg shell on this site before:

Baking in an eggshell

8. faithnmrb

faithnmrb

Thank you very much for going back finding that post for me. It helped. :cool:

9. shawtycat

shawtycat

I know Ive seen people serve soup and puddings in egg shells. Be interesting to see what kind of things you can serve in them. How do you think sorbet would work?? Or a daquiri (sp?) with a little umbrella? Eggshells would make the perfect last minute shot glass.