Educational Videos ? not tv shows any recommendations ?

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by thumper1279, Feb 22, 2013.

1. thumper1279

thumper1279

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    OK so I'm a bit slow and having troubled with learning when it comes to reading and understanding 

its always been easier for me to learn hands on then reading i just don't have a fair easy time picking up on things and it makes stuff harder 

are there any educational videos for Culinary school that i can look at that anyone would recommend not TV shows not culinary movies but 

educational videos  DVDs or something like that 

thank you 

2. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    The only one i know of are about some thai techniques. Look for sitca (a cooking school on koh samui) on you tube. Chef mcDang has some good instruction video's as well.
    There might be a whole lot more on you tube though.
    How about some books that give a picture for every step of the way, like jacques pepin "complete techniques"?

3. thumper1279

thumper1279

Exp:
    Culinary Student
      I will try some books that give every step of the way pictures 

i have been reading and looking at my Culinary Foundations one book that does have  pictures of Chops and Curt's 

my brain is just a bit overloaded and as slow as i am at learning when you add all this stuff in together  it doesn't make easy not saying i want easy i mean it just moves the challenge level up like 5 notches it seems even if it only is 1 

that's why i was thinking some education videos on these would be easier 

i  don't want to learn about recipes so i don't want tv  shows 

i want to learn techniques 

that will help me for my education and learning process 

so that's why i was thinking Education Videos 

i did ask the Chef  Instructor yesterday about Education videos that the school might have 

he said he will check with the library to see what is there and then go threw the ones he thinks will be helpfull for me in Foundations 1 

4. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    There was a television series on PBS called "The Great Chefs of......." (pick a country).

Their videos showed technique with explanations. Very well done. You can access them via the internet.

5. thumper1279

thumper1279

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    thank you i will check those out thank you 

6. twyst

twyst

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Even though you said you dont want TV shows, you should watch old jaques pepin anyway :p