Editing posts

Discussion in 'Report Site Problems' started by morning glory, Sep 2, 2017.

1. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I just tried to edit a post I made yesterday (I just wanted to correct a typo) but the edit function was not available. I believe I have edited posts before but I'm not sure how long after they were posted I did that.

Anyway, is this an intentional setting? On another forum (using same XenForo platform) I am able to edit older posts. I just successfully edited this post - so I'm thinking that things are set to prevent editing after a certain time?

Regards, MG

2. HellaSteph

HellaSteph Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hi there, thanks for the note. Yes, we allow a 24-hour period in which you may edit your posts. We do this to minimize someone who may attempt to spam the forums even after they make posts. Thanks so much for understanding!

morning glory likes this.
  3. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Actually that's very generous. Most other forums only allow 15 minutes. The reason for limiting editing is to preserve the continuity of the thread. For instance, you could say one thing and the posts after it would be commenting on what you said. Now suppose you went back and changed what you originally said. Now nothing anybody said after your post makes any sense.

flipflopgirl and HellaSteph like this.
  4. HellaSteph

HellaSteph Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    This is correct. We do our best to be as user-friendly as we can. If there's a post in question that needs our attention, you are more than welcome to "Report" the post or thread for review by staff. Please list your reason for needing to edit and we would be happy to help. Thank you!

5. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    OK, I perfectly understand. On the other forum (where I'm a mod.) we don't seem to have an issue with people changing posts. They can only edit posts when they have become a 'tried and trusted' member (certain number of posts, certain length of time as a member etc,) to avoid the spamming issue. But your system is fine as long as we can get our errors or omissions corrected by reporting them.:)

HellaSteph likes this.
  6. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    @morning glory We have had several members who left the community and when the left tried to edit all of their posts (literally hundreds in some cases) so all they contained was a period or space. After this happened twice we no longer allow editing after a certain period of time.

HellaSteph likes this.
  7. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yep! I understand. That can be very destructive.

8. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    LOL ... and some of us disagree.

9. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Personally, I'd prefer a slightly longer window than 24 hours for editing. But that is probably because I usually make mistakes and realise a day or so later! :)

10. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Just blame it on auto-correct like we all assume and forget about it.

morning glory likes this.