Edible containers/ serving vessels for hot soups

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by (private user), Oct 31, 2010.

1. Hi.

I enjoyed this wiki and was wondering if anyone else has used pureed vegetables such as beets or carrots  then baked them  employing the same techniques for tuiles forming a mold over an inverted glass. If they are thick enough will they hold 4 oz. of hot soup. I'm pretty sure I could use a potato basket or make a savory pastry cup. How about making a potato tower from a mouse ring, and then scooping out the insides and serving my soup in that.I've thought about cutting off the top 1/3 of a lemon, or orange removing interior as a non edible bowl,or doing the same with an avocado, except cut horizontally.

2. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hi Taj, using an edible vessel for food is maybe a little retro, but, you don't hear me complain.

We may all remember pumpkin soup served in a hollowed pumpkin. There's also stuffed courgettes, tomatoes, aubergines with minced meat or rice mixtures, nothing retro here.

I particularly like a hollowed potatoe stuffed with it's own upgraded mash and baked again in the oven. They serve it quite often in Greek restaurants in my country. Delicious.

And, not to forget, the stuffed lemon and oranges, filled with icecream.