eclairs gone soft

Joined Jul 21, 2015
Yesterday i made eclairs and they originally turned out fine, they puffed, had good texture, i wasnt going to fill them until today but i woke up and they had all gone soft, the shells weren't hard at all instead really soft. What would the issue be?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Humidity from one source or another. If you covered them early, they may have self steamed some. If you live in a humid environment, that can do it too. 

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Save the day by placing on a cooling rack (the holes in the rack ensures even heat) in a slow oven for a few minutes.
Watch closely or you will end up with a too dark/ crispy shell.

mimi

Joined Sep 9, 2012
No i didnt do that, i didnt know you wetr supposed to! Just like a skewer or something?
I use the end of a paring knife.. The steam is what gives the eclair it's lift so there is quite a bit in there after baking. Mimi also had a good point, have to bake at med temp until they're almost crisp. If the temp is too high they'll over brown before they're dehydrated enough and will collapse.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Save the day by placing on a cooling rack (the holes in the rack ensures even heat) in a slow oven for a few minutes.
Watch closely or you will end up with a too dark/ crispy shell.

mimi
Sorta left out this is to dry out your already baked and gone flabby shells lol.

mimi

Top Bottom