eberhard schaaf knifes instead of wustof ?!?

Joined Nov 2, 2002
As a home/ hobby chef, and after much deliberation and looking I have purchased what I hope is an excellent set of knifes.

I previously had bought and then returned a set of Wustof Culinar because I found that the cutting edge was not evenly ground on both sides of the knife. :confused: Pehaps this may be cosmetic (although the carving knife was VERY dull right out of the box) I don't know. I would expect that for that kind of money a person can expect finer and consistent construction that places the cutting edge right down the center of the blade where it probably should be (I did compare a bunch of wustof and found some good and many with this same issue). For balance, a comfortable bolster, and a thin blade I can find no comparison to the Wustoff, it was my favourite to hold, too bad about the finish.

As an alternative I bought the Eberhard Schaaf (Goldhamster) First Class knifes. They are a few dollars less but constructed perfectly. They are a bit heavier and generaly have a bit thicker blades than the Wustof but seem to be as good of a knife with the same German steel. I hope that these are as good as they look.
Does anyone here have any comments as to weather I have made a good choice here?
Anyone here using Schaaf First Class knifes?
If anyone has heard of a bad experience with them please let me know.
:confused:

Joined Jan 21, 2002
The only time I used an E.S. knife was when I borrowed my Exec. Chef's. It was really good but a bit on the heavy side. Not cumbersome, mind you. Just heavy......

I think you got a good kinfe.

Joined Nov 2, 2002
Thanks for the reply! I had a chance to carve some roast with them and they are a joy to use!:D

Top Bottom