Ducks and Domestic Terrorism

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by anneke, Aug 20, 2003.

1. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
  2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's about time someone labelled these asses "terrorists". PETA's so-called boycotts of recent foie gras dinners really amount to extortion and terrorism. The action of these "activists" amount to nothing more than terrorism, and if they get caught, they should be treated as such!!!

3. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Nothing gives these people the right to damage anothers property ! They should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
    Just because a group feels that they are right does not make them above the law . Remember that Charlie Manson thought he was right also .

4. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    So, this post got me to wondering about these groups, so I spent some time on the web reading about the ALF (Animal Liberation Front) and checking out their websites, and e-magazines. These people are scary!!! I don't care about all the disclaimers stating that they don't condone illegal actions taken against their "enemies", they definately support those who vandalize and/or threaten such people. Just read the praises they have for acts committed against those that "harm animals". They claim that since they have never "harmed" anyone, they shouldn't be considered terrorists. I guess that destroying someone's car, home, business is not terrorism. That stalking and videotaping someone's family is not a terrorist act. I am sure they would feel differently if they were the subjects of such actions.

5. markface

markface

i have unfortuately had dealings with peta in my last profesion . i used to work in a local fishing tackle shop , and the international peta headquarters is only a few miles away from here . they have in the past set up picketers in front of the shop i used to work in , but it didnt last very long . fishermen(and women) really dont take kindly to those that try to take their favorite past time away from them . we retaliated by having an annual p*ss on peta fishing turnament right in front of their waterfront international headquarters . they are so funny to watch all lined up at their windows watching us pull fish after fish out of the water right in front of them .

6. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I do not particularly care for my local newspaper, so I will be down there tossing acid on the employees' cars.

Is that really the thought process of rational individuals? Anybody is certainly free to express their beliefs. Heck, they can go on television, hold rallies, whatever, but there is certainly a line that you cross when you threaten somebody or damage their property!

I hope that when these folks are caught, they aren't turned over to the police; I hope the dishwashers and sous chefs at the restaurant they are defaming and damaging have a 'talk' with them first.

7. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would like to describe, in detail, what I would like to do to individuals like these, but I am afraid that I would scare off many of you!!!!:crazy: :eek:

8. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It would be nice to open up a dummy shop and lay in wait for these a$$h0ll$ and when they come to terrorize, turn the tables on them and catch them in the act. Follow them home, acid wash their cars, videotape their families and see how they like it. Ahh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They make my blood boil! Any of these radical groups that are the self professed voice of those who cannot speak for themselves are nothing more than facist terrorists themselves and deserve nothing more than the BS they dish out.
    I'm with ya Pete!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

9. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I was thinking of spiking there Vegetarian Black Bean Chili with veal, Lark's tounges, and foie!!!! At least that is the only thing that I can admit to on a public forum!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

For my more detailed, less public plans, PM me chrose and I will gladly share some of them.;) :eek: ;)

10. isa

isa

These terrorists see themselves as crusader, protecting the world from the evil of foie gras...

What's next???

11. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Since these acts have been declared to be acts of domestic terrorism, it is now a Federal matter. The FBI is investigating along with local police. When they get caught (and I have no doubt they will be caught) they will be tried in federal court. And the feds are much less forgiving than a local jurisdiction.
    Whether or not you agree with them or not, foie gras producers are going about their lawfull business and should be left to do so unmolested.

Jock

12. isa

isa

So what's next? Protest against lobster being drop in water? Or bees working overtime to meet production deadline? How crazy can people get???

13. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A very severe line has been crossed here by these so-called lovers of animals.To destroy property and intimidate ones family is nothing more than terriost actions.

I hope these misguided,confused idiots will be caught and prosicuted to the full extent of the law.An example should be made of them on the shear fact that they are violent. I believe in free speech....vandels need not apply.

I would love the oppurtunity to browse through a store like they are trying to destroy,Foie on my table makes me happy.with duck crackling as well.

If this is not taken care of in the court of law and shown to be an act of terror,then.as said before me."what Next"I think i'll go eat an ortalon!!

14. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I disagree with these peoples' (ALF and PETA) tactics. They should not harm anyone, or thier business, or their property to get their point across. In all honesty, their tactics and efforts are counterproductive-the attention they seek for their cause is diverted into attention to their actions and outrage directed toward them, not the cruelty they wish to eliminate. No one ever even hears their message.
    That being said, I agree with them that foie gras should not be produced for sale or human consumption. I am a meat eating former vegan--a case of pernicious anemia (severe lack of vitamin B-12) changed my mind about the dietary value of a consistently vegan diet. While I agree that SOME meat is necessary for a balanced diet and that eating animal protien is fine, I don't agree that we should torture animals to provide ourselves with a balanced or even tasty diet.
    I visited a foie gras goose farm while on a culinary trip to France and the process by which this liver is produced is HORRIFYING! Tight metal rings are placed around the geese's necks, then they are force fed phenomenal amounts of fatty food which they cannot regurgitate. This causes the liver to swell and their abdomens to distend to the point where they cannot stand or walk. These sick listless geese are slaughtered after several weeks of this torture and only the liver is harvested because the meat becomes too polluted by bodily toxins. What a waste. If you believe veal is a proper meat to eat, try visiting a production facility and then see if you have the stomach for it.
    Sure, we are the highest animals on the food chain. We are also self aware-an attribute to existence that extends to other animals too. Would being the highest on the food chain justify setting cats tails on fire or feeding a dog a lit cherry bomb or leaving an animal in a closed hot car if these actions would provide us with a new delicacy for the table? I think most reasonable people would disagree with the practice. I see the production of foie gras as analogous to these thoughtless actions. As the highest on the food chain we are charged with the responsibility of respectful stewards not just blind consumers of the nearest protein source.

15. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    foodnfoto, just heard an NPR radio show today talking about B-12 deficiency in vegans. They were saying that most often it only occurs in the US and other "highly" developed nations. For vegans in third world countries this is often not a problem. So they did some research and discovered that it is because our food is "too clean". It seems that vegans in third world countries consume quite a few insects and bug parts, at least enough to keep them supplied with B-12, in their grains. IN contrast, the US foodstuffs are much cleaner, thus fewer bugs and less B-12.