Duck stock & duck fat

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by butzy, Oct 23, 2018.

1. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    So, I have grilled my duck (soon to be posted in the monthly challenge).
    I still have quite a bit left over that is going to be turned into Thai red duck curry.

I am going to use the carcas for stock and I am wondering if I can add the left over skin to it?
    Make stock, put in fridge and remove the fat?
    Or is it better to keep the skin seperate and crisp it up (again) in a skillet and use the fat that is rendered that way?

The skin was quite crispy when it was just done, but not anymore (after a night in the fridge). A lot of the fat got rendered into the drip pan, but there is still some fat left and some fatty pieces of duck

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    If the skin hasn't been caramelized at all then I doubt it'll contribute much flavor, but if it's got some nice color then it should contribute some nice flavor.

I would proceed as with chicken: for brown stock, roast whatever bits of skin don't already have a nice color.

I don't think crispiness counts here. Crispiness is texture, but it's more the color that indicates the flavor.

And make sure you reserve all that fat to roast some potatoes or something! ;)

3. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    No, don't add skin to stock, it just acts like a sponge. There is though wonderful great goodness if you brown it in skillet and collect the fond. I've only done this with skillet fried chicken wings, but I suppose you can make it work with naked duck skins, probably first remove all the fat you can. I'd save that fond for some special dish though, it's really too wonderful to dilute in stock.

4. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    The duck has been roasted already and the skin is nice and brown, so i's not naked duck skin.....
    Think I will do them seperately, just in case.
    Basic stock to turn into a noodle soup and the skin for duck fat for more fried potatoes

5. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't understand...you have LEFTOVER duck skin? Crisp it up and eat it WTF is wrong with you??!?! :lol:

6. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't see why it would be a problem. When you roast chicken backs for stock they all have skin on them.

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Definitely disagree. There's is amazing goodness in the browned crispy skin itself, that's why it's so good to eat! And you'll get that flavor in your stock if you infuse the skin as well as the meat and bones. Best way to know is to make a crispy skin stock and see what it tastes like.

Personally I would never ever DREAM of removing chicken skin before caramelizing the chicken parts for a brown stock. Does anyone?

8. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    When I have leftover skin I render them fat side down till they turn into craklin' wafers. I'll weight them flat if I have to with another pot on top.

9. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I was playing with the different options and eventually decided to make stock from everything.
    Cool it, remove fat and use the stock for duck noodle soup.
    I have put myself on a light diet, so felt that eating all the skin was probably not the best of plans :(