Duck Burgers - Menu Development help

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by foodieuk88, Apr 3, 2017.

1. foodieuk88

foodieuk88

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hey Guys,

I'm going to be doing a few catering gigs here and there and I'm in the process of developing a menu for some Duck Burgers. I have some ideas on toppings to use with the duck patty, however I wanted to see if anyone was willing to give me some ideas on various duck burger combos, help and insight on the best sauces, cheese, spices/seasonings, buns etc... that goes very well with duck.

I would appreciate your help on this, please help guys....../img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Caramelized onions and brie.

foodieuk88 likes this.
  3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    How 'bout....

Buns = steamed pancakes

Sauce = Sweet bean sauce, or Hoisin sauce

Garnish = Spring onions

foodieuk88 and kuan like this.
  4. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    What kind of fat are you thinking of adding to the grind?

5. misstiffie

misstiffie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I tend to use a berry with citrus zest for a sauce with duck. Tart and sweet, but also a bit chunky. I'd go for a light cheese, if any,... I don't think duck and cheese go together that much. Some nice arugula would add a nice crunch and bite to cut through the rich duck.. abs perhaps a nice toasted brioche bun. Light but buttery and fluffy.

foodieuk88 likes this.
  6. misstiffie

misstiffie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You are thinking Asian.... so over asian

7. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You may be over Asian, but many people are not and ultimately we are in the business to serve what sells and Asian sells, and it works well with the duck. 

flipflopgirl likes this.
  8. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Which kinda makes me wonder.  Say you're in the US and the trendy stuff on both coasts haven't made it to the midwest in ten years.  Do you think they'll get there ever?

9. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's kind of a loaded question that can only be answered with a whole lot of "it depends."  It depends on the trend.  It depends on where in the Midwest you are talking about.  It depends on whether you are talking about rural or urban Midwest. It depends on whether it is a liberal or conservative town or city.  It even depends on the size of the city.  But, in general, today, if it hasn't hit the Midwest in 10 years, it probably won't.  A few decades ago, that wasn't the case.  A few decades ago I'd say the Midwest, at least culinarily, was behind the coast 8-10 years.  With a few exceptions, I'd say that lag time has diminished considerably to just a couple of years, at most, and in some instances, the Midwest has helped set the trends, especially when it comes to the farm-to-table movement.

10. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I have to chime in Pete.

You and I are perfect examples of the Midwest. You hailing from semi-rural Wisconsin, and I from very rural Michigan.

Sous-vide is non-existent here and probably never will be.

Sushi restaurants? Nope, although Sushi in grocery stores is available

In fact fine up-scale dining is no where to be found within a radius of 200 miles or more where I live.

Pete, on the other hand, has a few larger towns within an hours drive, that has all that I mentioned above.

Madison, Wisconsin for instance has a large dining scene.

Again, what Pete said about the different variables is very true.