Drying Herbs

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by queen 7, Sep 9, 2014.

1. queen 7

queen 7

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ok my herb garden has been a joy this summer, I only had 2 types of parsley, garlic, lemon mint, oregano, basil and regular mint...so many dishes I made including my rubs I put on my meats...

So now with summer coming to a close...how do I go about drying my herbs to jar them for use in the winter

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  3. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Make a pesto with the basil--just olive oil and the basil in the food processor (leave out the garlic and use fresh when you use the pesto)--and freeze it in ice cube trays rather than trying to dry it. Drying it leaves you with a grey-green flavorless powder. Freezing it in oil gives you a jolt of summer in the dead of winter.

The oregano should be fine just hung upside down on the branches, out of direct light.

Mint will dry to a state that is OK for some things but it really depends on the kind of mint it is. Try hanging it upside down on it's branches, too.

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
  5. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
  6. queen 7

queen 7

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ok thank you I will try this...Thank you

7. queen 7

queen 7

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi, Chicago Terry lemon mint is leafy and viney like, my other mint is the corocasin  type very short...if I can dry it I can put it in a tea scoop and steep in hot water for my tea...I have it outside as a deer and rabbit repellent as well as my consumption...I potted it though not sure what soil type I have yet...Thanks for your response...Take care ...Happy cooking