Drying herbs...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mudbug, Jun 7, 2001.

1. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I'm sure most of you use fresh herbs from your gardens, anyone have their own special way of drying the excess?

2. papa

papa

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Dear Cchiu:

The thing that is important to remember when it comes to drying herbs is that you have to hung them upside down.

I dry my herbs inside the house because Connecticut is very humid even in the summer.

:)

3. seattledeb

seattledeb

Yesterday on Martha Stewart she had a segment on drying herbs with tulle and using the fridge first for a few weeks. Wondered if anyone had used this method when I watched.

web page

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I dry my herbs basicly the same way papa does.Two things I do, first I soak them in cold water to let all the unwanted protiens (you know what I mean)sink to the bottom. Then I let them air dry. After they are dry I hang them in my celler and place a papaer bag over them and pock a few holes in it for airation, Then I cut a small opening in the bottom. The reason I do these two steps is 1 The bag will catch any herb that falls and 2 the whole on the bottom is what I use to get at the herbs.I keep the whole closed with a little piece of tape
    cc

5. layjo

layjo

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Thanks for the Good sugesstions and techniques for drying. I have a garlic braid in my kitchen for decoration and I use the garlic from it from time to time. I rinsed some herbs from my garden gently with cool water. What I tried is sticking herbs branches and stems in between the garlic bulbs and the braid and left them on till they dried and seperated the leaves in little spice containers. Lately i havent been doing much cooking at home, but i want to start drying some herbs for when i need them! By the way, it makes the kitchen smell fragrent of herbs ...which I like!

6. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Papa,

Actually, we use our herbs too quicklym to dry them!

If I were to dry them, I probably would use them method referred to by SeattleDeb. Why? because it is ideal for them to dry in a cool, dark place. They would be dust free, and they would retain more oil than if dried in a warmer area (we don't have a basement).

;)