Dry roasted peanuts

Joined Sep 5, 2008
You can buy peanuts in the shell at human stores as well. You can find them in pubs and bars sometimes. Sometimes they are cooked and salted, still in the shell. There's a big restaurant in Malibu Beach (Moonshadows) where you can grab free salted cooked peanuts in the shell in a huge container at the entrance to eat while waiting for your drink. You can sometimes buy them at farmer's markets such as NoHo in L.A.. They're also a popular snack in France.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Not just Moonshadows, but the burger joint, Two Guys, also. Once upon a time Texas Roadhouse but I heard they stopped free peanuts to help customers with peanut allergies.

Peanuts, for those who don’t know, are not nuts... peanuts are legumes.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Best dry roasted peanuts I ever ate came from Vallarta Market, a Hispanic market chain in Los Angeles. Sometimes they have piles of peanuts in shell that are roasted on a comal (flat cooking surface of iron or clay, until the shells are charred. No salt,,, just A concentrated pure roasted peanut flavor with a bit of smokiness.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Yeah, we can get the ones in shell sometimes, but when I mentioned the pet food, I was talking about the raw peanuts in shell and I don't think I have ever seen those in supermarkets ;)
Raw shelled peanuts are pretty common here. You'll find them lying on the shelf near the dried beans :). 1 or 2.5 kg bags

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Raw peanuts are quite common in the southern US states where they are grown. Especially during the harvest season.... which also is when the most disgusting peanut product (except in the opinion of a Southerner), boiled peanuts, is sold at road-side stands. Tinned boiled peanuts... probably despised by everyone including Southerners!

In Los Angeles the best, but expensive, source of raw peanuts (and raw tree nuts) are vegetarian-oriented health food stores.

It seems to me that the OP might have limited exposure to the wide variety of commercial dry-roasted peanut products. While the base ingredient might be the same, there is a lot of diversity in the end products. And while some common commercial products like the bottled Planter’s brand peanut may be familiar... they might not represent the best that genre can offer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom