Dry roasted peanuts

Joined Jul 13, 2012

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Huh?
What type of dry roasted peanuts?
Brand?
Flavour?
I dry roast my peanuts and eat them like that. Peanut flavour :)

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Yeah the question is odd. Dry roasted peanuts are peanuts that are roasted without oil, period.

If the brand of peanuts you buy adds anything else, it should be listed on the label? For example here are the ingredients on Planters dry roasted peanuts:

INGREDIENTS: PEANUTS, CONTAINS 2 % OR LESS OF SEA SALT, SPICES (CONTAINS CELERY), DRIED ONION, DRIED GARLIC, PAPRIKA, NATURAL FLAVOR, SUGAR, CORNSTARCH, GELATIN, TORULA YEAST, MALTODEXTRIN, DRIED CORN SYRUP.

Joined Jul 7, 2020
INGREDIENTS: PEANUTS, CONTAINS 2 % OR LESS OF SEA SALT, SPICES (CONTAINS CELERY), DRIED ONION, DRIED GARLIC, PAPRIKA, NATURAL FLAVOR, SUGAR, CORNSTARCH, GELATIN, TORULA YEAST, MALTODEXTRIN, DRIED CORN SYRUP.
Do you know where I can get a recipe to make them please?

Joined Jan 4, 2011
[SIZE=18px]burnt bager[/SIZE] ... The nuts you show and are asking about are NOT plain ordinary "Dry Roasted" peanuts. ... The "dry roasting" of yours is only signifying that they are not fried or any other cooking style. There are lots of nuts like you are asking about. They are not however ... just ordinary "Dry Roasted" peanuts.

Here's 3 different examples that look like yours:

900.jpg 070842014107-original-peanuts-party-size-jar_1024x1024@2x.jpg images.jpeg

I hope this helps.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
They look nothing like the DR nuts seen in the supermarkets and pubs. The color is a dead give away
My point exactly. Re-read your own original question. You don't give any precision as to what kind of dry roasted peanuts you're talking about? You didn't mention supermarkets or pubs. The link I gave you is from a supermarket by the way. You just mention "dry roasted peanuts". Some of us like Butzy and I dry roast our peanuts ourselves. Also keep in mind we don't all live in the U.S. or frequent the same supermarkets!

Joined Jul 7, 2020
You don't give any precision as to what kind of dry roasted peanuts you're talking about?
Coz I dont know! I have only even seen and eaten one kind of dry roasted nuts
Hears is another example

At this stage I am now considering there is going to be some confusion over plain salted nuts as well. The ones sold in the pub and supermarkets are very salty and greasy with fat. And it is said that the greasy fat is not added oil but has come out of the peanut when boiled

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Coz I dont know!
Right. Which is why we're telling you: dry roasted peanuts are peanuts, that were roasted without oil. The rest is up to you, or who you buy them from, or what country you're from etc.

A roasted chicken doesn't mean a chicken with "paprika, garlic, oregano, onion powder, liquid smoke and corn syrup". A roasted chicken is a chicken that was roasted. What you flavor it with (or what you DON'T flavor it with) is up to you or the chef who prepared it.

Joined Jul 7, 2020
Right. Which is why we're telling you: dry roasted peanuts are peanuts, that were roasted without oil. The rest is up to you, or who you buy them from, or what country you're from etc.
So I need to make some kind of recipe based on ingredents listed above, and mix with the nuts and roast them off

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I am now considering there is going to be some confusion over plain salted nuts as well.
1. Salted nuts are not plain. They're salted. They're plain nuts with salt added.
2. Dry roasted nuts are roasted. That does not mean they're salted, that means they're roasted dry (without oil). They could be salted - or not. They could have flavorings - or not.

Last edited:
Joined Sep 5, 2008
So 1. how do you recon then the salted peanuts are so greasy/ oily
So to you salted and dry roasted mean the same thing? To me they mean completely different things. The former specifies the seasoning while the latter mentions the cooking method.

Have you never had unsalted dry roasted peanuts?

Joined Jul 7, 2020
Have you never had unsalted dry roasted peanuts?
Dont know. the only dry roasted ones I have ever tried where not oily at all, but I am sure they will add a good amount of salt to them like most things

But I have had monkey nut which you crack open the hairy shell and usually you get 2 nuts out of it. These nut are the same as the supermarket type of salted and dry roasted for which we are talking about. Only when they come out of the shell threre is no oil or salt on them what so ever. I might get some monkey nuts and boil them off to see if any oil come out to see if this theory is true or not

I'm thinking of making the mix up with 3/4 paprika to 1/4 brown sugar hear and a little bit of salt and some chilly. Im not sure about dried onion and garlic think though, I might just grate some onion and garlic over the mix.

But I'm not sure about this cornstarch and corn syrup. Do you think I need it to get them all to bond together for baking purposes?

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Are you talking about "CHINESE DRIED or ROASTED GROUND NUTS?" They come packaged in cellophane bags from China like these?

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I'm still confused:
Peanuts grow in a shell, generally 2 peanuts per shell.
You probably can buy them at the pet shop as they are used to string up for birds.
These nuts are raw.
The ones like it, that you buy in the supermarket are baked.
You can also buy them peeled and raw. These raw peeled peanuts are used to make dry roasted peanuts, or you can bake them, or deep fry them. You could even boil them, but then they taste totally different. Again, you may have to look in the pet food section to find raw peanuts.
The peanuts you generally buy in the suoermarket (snack section) are mostly fried (hence the oil) or sometimes dry roasted.
Dry fried peanuts are not greasy. Peanuts do contain a lot of fat, but it doesn't come out when roasting them.
Hope this helps

Top Bottom