dry chicken breasts

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by neisstr, Feb 11, 2002.

1. neisstr

neisstr

How do you cook chicken beasts so they aren't dry?

2. neisstr

neisstr

I meant chicken breasts, not beasts.

3. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    well, marinating them and pan searing really helps. Charbroiling or roasting will lead to a more dry product. BTW welcome to ChefTalk.

4. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

I find that pounding the breast thin- a nice and even thickness allows for a shorter cooking time which results in a moist breast.

5. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Personally, I liked it when you called them "chicken beasts."

It's something about denaturing the protein -- but that's all technical. The main thing, however you cook them, is to not overcook them. If you use high heat to sear them, turn the flame down when you finish cooking them. Just treat them gently. And don't be afraid to feel them as you cook them -- if they are hard as a rock, it's too late. They should still be ever-so-slightly spongy.

6. calicoskies

calicoskies

When I am baking boneless breasts, I line a pan with foil, season the chicken well (I like cajun seasonings) and cover the pan with foil, I bake at 350 for about an hr. The chicken gives off alot of water, and if you cover the pan, that water wont evaporate and it will simmer into a broth and keep your chic breasts moist. Grilling boneless breasts is trickier, and I have found that marinating helps alot and I never, NEVER walk away from the grill. I also like to baste with a lemon butter when grilling. Watch for flareups tho.

7. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    How do you make Lemon Butter????

8. isa

isa

Mix softened butter with lemon zest. How much lemon zest? It depends on how much you like lemon. Add as much or as little as you want.

9. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    Thanks Isa. Gonna fire up my grill pan. I usually use a mustard, herb and lemon basting. I never put the same things in twice. Well other that the mustard and hot peppers. Glad to have something other that this.