Drunk Staff

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by leeniek, Nov 22, 2009.

1. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I missed this one but got the story from the KM... apparently one of our line cooks arrived drunker than a skunk on one of my days off and while I did giggle at the stupidity of it, well it does present a problem. We are an open kitchen in a family breakfast and lunch place... not good for business if one of the line cooks is under the influence for sure. I am glad I was not working that day because I would have sent the drunk home...

What is your worst/best drunk staff story?

2. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Had he been hurt or hurt someone while under. The place is liable, because they permitted him to work.

3. ras1187

ras1187

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I went into my walk-in freezer the other day and it reeked of weed. Was only one other guy there, so no serious problem solving required to figure out who smoked in the freezer.

4. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I know he didn't allow him to be on the line in that state for sure..

5. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You people in Canada are way to nice. If I called him into work and he said he had a few beers, I may let it slide. If he comes in DRUNK he is showing no respect for his job or management, I would fire him on the spot. The restaurant doesn't run on the ability of any one person. The KM should have sent him home and called in the Asst kitchen manager. All people in management need to step up when needed or the employees will be calling the shots.................ChefBill

6. chef_wade

chef_wade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sent home?? That's an automatic fire for my staff. What they do on their own time is one thing but once your on my time, you better be clean and sober.

7. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    No problem just make him disappear like we did in Brooklyn.

8. chef_wade

chef_wade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    WOW!!! Where I come from that is automatic termination.

9. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I found myself functioning like him today but for a very different reason.. my arm has healed (and better than thought at first) so I was chopping onions when the knife guy came in with our new razor sharp knives and after the exchange I went back to my onions when the knife slipped on a membrane that I missed and I fileted my middle index finger on my left hand. It is the worst cut I have ever had... I was bleeding all over the place and I said **** I just really cut bad and ran to the ladies bathroom.. mostly becasuse I thought I was going to be sick.. and when I got there I ran my finger under water and then I went to the first aid kit and needed help as I was still really bleeding and the owners taped me up. I must have looked really bad as they all asked me if I was ok to stay and hero me said yeah it is just a cut.. but it was a bad one.
    I made it throught the day.. we also got hit for a Monday so having me off my game was not a good thing but it worked out
    I really don't want to look at my finger but at some stage I need to take a peek......

10. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I dunno what's worse, dealing with "Worksafe( Worker's comp board) or dealing with the labour board. If any employee came in drunk I'd refuse them the shift, can't say I'd fire them, but I'd refuse them the shift. Then it's document, document, document, and if there's a pattern of showing up drunk I'd terminate. Of course, my butt would be bare and open for the Labour Board to walz all over on, documentation or not, but I'd rather get dinged with a 2 or 3 thousand buck fine, than get dinged for a 10 or 15 thousand fine for letting a drunk employee work......

11. bryanj

bryanj

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I was Assistant KM at a bar a couple years ago. Went into the walk in at the end of the night to get some inventory done and the KM was in the cooler with a (mostly empty) bottle of Jameson in one hand, while the other hand was resting on a bone-in honey ham that he had taken the bone out of, while facing the ham. To put it delicately, he had a stain on his pants and the ham was now garbage. I didn't really know what to do so I closed the door and grabbed the owner of the restaurant. He was not very happy.

12. chef_wade

chef_wade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Now that's just funny:roll:

13. bryanj

bryanj

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    In retrospect, it's completely hilarious. At the time though, not so much. I needed that ham, man!

14. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Still working through the first cup of coffee this morning, skimming a along the threads when.....HUH?! good morning!!!

I've had to deal with a "pro" past EC who was 45minutes late to an offsite lunch.....after affects of a hard night.....timing is everything when offsite, these guys were on shift and had a certain time to get through with lunch.

How can I recommend this talented guy now?

15. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Mmmm.. Sounds like you got yourself a "closet necrophiliac" (Sp?)... Brrrr! Cold ham!......

16. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OMG that is funny! (what's funnier was it took me reading this a few times before I "got" it. :lol:

17. greyeaglem

greyeaglem

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I can only hope any hams you used before your "discovery" still had the bones in. :eek: :lol:

18. bryanj

bryanj

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Yeah, I purposely wrote it in a manner that if, for some reason, a kid was reading this, he/she would be less likely to "get it". I try to leave the kitchen and bar language in the kitchen and the bar, you know?

To my knowledge, the ham all had bones in, but, I wasn't there every day so...

19. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well apparently I am on the naieve side...lol! Thinking about that a little too much... eeewww... what if he put the ham back on the shelf after he had his time with it and you guys unknowingly served it.... eeewww

20. lodge-chef

lodge-chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I worked for this place in Vancouver for 2 years and the head chef/owner had a propensity for emptying 375ml bottles of evian and filling them to the brim with straight vodka. This was at 2 in the afternoon. He would then proceed to hop in his suv and drive around the west end, swilling his beverage of choice and picking up specialty groceries for his restaurant. Suffice to say, he needed lines and lines of coke to get him through the rest of the night. A very interesting and bizarre man to say the least! Of course, he could do as he pleased because he owned the joint and was therefore the king of his very miniscule castle :).