dried shrimp

Joined May 2, 2004
I have A LOT of dried shrimp, which I like to keep on hand for the Thai dishes I cook. Can I freeze some of it? What's the best method? Coffee cans? Freezer wrap? Thanks!

Joined May 26, 2001
If they really are dried, you can just put them in zip-lock type plastic bags, or in glass jars with good, tight-sealing lids, and keep them in the cupboard. No need to freeze, unless they are not completely dry.

I always find that the problem is odor transferrence, so I preper to keep them in tightly-closed jars.

Joined Apr 28, 2003
My grandmother did the same with her dried shrimp and all her other dried asian products (sea horses, orange peel, birds nest, and a whole lotta other stuff I can't identify). In bulk, use an tight jar but whatever you use to store them in, make sure they're air tight. Most dried asian ingredients are very pungent and fragrent.

Joined Dec 23, 2003
All the Asian grocers in my area refrigerate their dried shrimp. I recommend doing the same - transferring them to a glass jar first.

I've also noticed that there are some brands of dried shrimp that don't have sulfites. The lack of sulfites makes these a little more perishable. Refrigeration should work fine, though.

If you do decide to freeze them, I highly recommend glass jars for that as well. The impermeability of the glass will be your best protection against transferrence and freezer burn.

Top Bottom