Dried Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by sylviam, May 12, 2017.

1. sylviam

sylviam

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I bought a variety of dried mushrooms, thinking I will always have some mushrooms available when I need them for a recipe. I just soaked some dried portobellos as directed on the package. I sauteed them to go with a steak but they were tough. Are dried mushrooms usually tough? Anyone any tips on preparing them so they are not tough?

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yes they usually are tough. Dry mushrooms are great as a flavor agent. I use them in risottos, stock. They're also very good if you chop them finely after they've been soaked. Or pulverized dry into breadcrumbs. But I recommend fresh mushrooms if you want to eat them whole.

3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What she said.

In addition to the uses listed above, another option is to put them (still dried) in a spice grinder, blitz them into powder and use in rubs or add them to things like like meatloaf.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @cheflayne I think you meant to say rubs. I also like to use them in pangratatto

5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree with what everyone else has said.  Soaking and sautéing dried mushrooms as a side dish is not the best use for them.  They will be tough.  I save dried mushrooms for stews and sauces where I they get chopped up and cooked for a considerable amount of time.  I also agree that they are wonderful in risotto, where they provide a much bigger mushroom "punch" than fresh mushrooms and they work awesome finely ground and used as part of a rub.

6. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A partial exception is dried shiitake, which can be soaked then stewed a long time and will be wonderfully meaty and chewy.

7. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yes that is what I meant to type. I am better with a knife than I am with a keyboard. :~)

8. sylviam

sylviam

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thank you all so much for the help. I will grind some up and add to hamburgers when my grandson is here this weekend. I'll use others in soups etc. Had been thinking of using some for the Duxelles in Beef Wellington, but probably wouldn't work.