Dried Hot peppers floating in oil?

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Hey all, took a crack at making some spicy flavoured oil a few weeks ago and had some questions.

I dehydrated a batch of hot peppers (in my oven albeit, took forever). pretty happy with the way they came out and very confident they were 100% dehydrated. I dropped the dried peppers after crushing them slightly into some really nice glass bottles and filled the bottle up with oil.. Looks great, tastes great however its been about 3 weeks now and ive still got some floaters.

A little worried about the floaters as I don't want them to be exposed and go bad. Did I do something wrong that I have a few floaters? Anything I should be worried about or anything I can do to save the batch?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
If they are whole dried peppers the floaters may have an air pocket which makes them float. Poke them and see if they sink.
Commercial kalamata olive containers have a round plastic spider web that holds the olives under the brine. You could try something similar.
Or you could simply remove the floaters.

Joined Dec 20, 2020
If they are whole dried peppers the floaters may have an air pocket which makes them float. Poke them and see if they sink.
Commercial kalamata olive containers have a round plastic spider web that holds the olives under the brine. You could try something similar.
Or you could simply remove the floaters.
I did crush them, maybe not enough. ill pull them out and break them right open see if it helps.

Top Bottom