Dried fruit

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by laurenlulu, Oct 30, 2015.

  1. laurenlulu

    laurenlulu

    Messages:
    612
    Likes Received:
    75
    Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I thought that I was allergic to the sulfites used to preserve dried fruits because when I eat them I have difficulty breathing, within minutes it feels like my airway is closing. I don't seem to have a sensitivity with sulfites within other foods, what could be causing this? Do others have this problem?
     
  2. chefwriter

    chefwriter

    Messages:
    1,839
    Likes Received:
    393
    Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Is it a specific dried fruit or all dried fruits? Home made or store bought?  Store bought may have something else as an ingredient that could cause it. Could it be the fruit itself you are allergic to?
     
  3. laurenlulu

    laurenlulu

    Messages:
    612
    Likes Received:
    75
    Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's only store bought ones and I can eat anything normally, I wonder if there's an additive that they're not listing.. After some internet research it's possible that it could be an abundance of mold spores that seem to be common in the dried fruit but even that seems odd to me.
     
  4. french fries

    french fries

    Messages:
    5,217
    Likes Received:
    327
    Exp:
    At home cook
    If I were you I would try the sulfite free dried fruits. They have sulfite free prunes at my local Trader Joe's ... and probably in other stores as well. See if that's the issue or not. 

    Good luck to you. Diagnosing a food allergy is not a fun exercise. 
     
  5. laurenlulu

    laurenlulu

    Messages:
    612
    Likes Received:
    75
    Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thank you FF, I don't remember having seen them sulfite free, will see if it's the culprit