Dried Apricots

Joined Oct 9, 2008
I just found a bag of good-quality but very dried-out dried apricots. They don't seem rancid, just very, very dry. Any ideas what I can do with them? I'm looking particularly for savories, not sweets, but I'll take any suggestions.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I like dried fruits like cherries and apricots in long braises especially with game. Apricot and pork is a good combination. Sauces benefit from dried fruits as well even if removed at the end..

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Look to Middle Eastern and North African cuisines. They often incorporate dried fruits into their savory dishes.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Tagine often use them. Maybe pulverize them medium texture and add to a falafel.

I've used them in 8 treasure rice which would fall on the barely sweet side, but not in the western idea of sweet.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Green Lightening Shrimp, Shrimp brushed with a marinade of Cilantro, Jalapeno, and Cumin, grilled with an Apricot, Tomatillo, and Cascebal Salsa

Tunisian influenced Red Snapper, a filet coated with coarse ground Sun Dried Apricots and cracked Barley Grits, pan seared and topped with a Tabil spiced Apricot Sauce

Rum and Black Pepper Pork, a tenderloin seasoned with a Jerk Spice Rub brushed with a Rum and cracked Black Pepper Glaze, then grilled, thinly sliced and topped with an Apricot Mojo Sauce

Apricot Mole Duck Breast, a breast brushed with an Apricot Coriander glaze, then grilled and thinly sliced, served on an Apricot Mole and sprinkled with a gremolata of dried Apricots and toasted Pepitas

Apricot Ginger Beer Chicken, a Breast stuffed with Apricots, Macadamias, and Napa Cabbage, then brushed with an Apricot Ginger Beer Barbeque Sauce and grilled

East Indian Inspired Rack of Lamb, a New Zealand Lamb Rack seasoned with Garam Masala, then oven roasted, cut into chops drizzled with Lamb Demi Glace and served with an Apricot Chutney

Grilled Vegetable Sachets, a mixture of grilled Corn, roasted Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, and Acorn Squash, sprinkled with toasted Cardamom, Fenugreek, and Cumin, sealed up in Egg Wrappers, then grilled and served with an Apricot Pecan Sauce

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Tagine is a great idea as you'll rehydrate the apricots, however if they're really really dry then classic cooking methods may not be enough to rehydrate them. What I would do is first steam them for a while to start rehydrating them. Then build your tagine in a cold dish and sloooow cook.

For example:
1. Separate cilantro leaves from their stems.
2. Grate some fresh turmeric and ginger.
3. Marinate chunks of lamb shoulder (or leg, neck, breast...) in good olive oil, turmeric/ginger paste, finely minced cilantro stems, minced onion and garlic, and a dash of cayenne pepper.
4. In a pan, slowly toast some cumin seeds, coriander seeds, white or black peppercorns for about 10mn until fragrant and slightly colored.
5. Pour boiling water over almonds and wait a few minute then peel the almonds.
6. Place lamb, apricots, almonds and toasted spices in a cold clay or other heavy dish and cover partially (to about 2/3) with chicken stock or water.
7. Add coarse sea salt, honey, saffron and a cinnamon stick.
8. Put dish in a cold oven, set temp to 200F and cook overnight (10 to 14 hours).
9. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
10. Serve with a good fresh loaf of homemade crusty bread, or rice, or bulgur, or spelt, or couscous. Put a small bowl of harissa or Tương ớt on the table.

Joined Sep 26, 2017
I use them all the time in sauces/gravies and stews/braises. You can add them whole and take them out before serving, or you can chop them up and leave them in, They add depth and complexity to anything and go with pretty much everything.

They're also good in stuffings, meatballs/meatloaves, and fried rice/stir-fry.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Sesame seeds, yes. Carrots, no. But I had some cubes of sweet potato, so what the heck, they went in. I just peeked at the cooking, and it looks and smells lovely. Tomorrow I serve it over rice, and you'll see the results. I'm looking forward to it!

Top Bottom