Chef Forum banner

Dream knife for a gift...

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  galley swiller 
#1 ·
Hi,

My hubby recently graduated from Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons aka Raymond Blanc and I want to buy him a gift for his upcoming birthday. To be honest all this fancy knife stuff is all new to me and I'm really not that aware of whats good and whats not. What knife would you suggest I buy his as a fairly new chef? Probably something that will last long? I don't have any idea where to even start... I vaguely remember him mentioning something about an AGYP knife? I could totally be miss hearing that or mixing it up with something else? Please help me, what do you suggest, what should i get him. Up to $1000 it could be a set...

Thanks

Kate

#2 ·
AGYP?  Ahahahaha, I have to wonder if perhaps he actually said NSF, which would be amongst the least expensive knives found in a kitchen.

Try to press for more information, maybe take a look at his knife roll also.  We tend to frown on "sets" in general, but sky's the limit of possibilities with what you give us to work off of so far.

Rick

#4 ·
Thanks, I was just googling AGYP knife and couldn't find a thing, should have done that before. I asked him about it and he had no idea what I was talking about lol.  

So if NSF is also know good and nor are sets, then what would you suggest? 

What is Aeb-I?

#7 · (Edited)
Indeed, scripture you have missed.  My deep exploration into the psychology of the subconscious, and other areas related to autonomous brain function, along with other deductive considerations, gives me insight into the OP's psyche in regards to how her memory, infiltrated as it is with various complexes both functional and otherwise, and the likely substitutions that it would prosecute in a situation of less than perfect clarity.

Now if we were to merely peruse the superficial and otherwise obvious it could be argued that Kate86 has the better purchase on the matter, but I hold to my analysis here.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks, I was just googling AGYP knife and couldn't find a thing, should have done that before. I asked him about it and he had no idea what I was talking about lol.

So if NSF is also know good and nor are sets, then what would you suggest?

What is Aeb-I?
AEB-L is a high grade of stainless steel, much coveted for it's ability to take a sharp edge close to that of good carbon steel (which unfortunately rusts inauspiciously in the absence of special care that stainless steels do not require).

There are a number of stainless knives we could recommend, but we are still blindly speculating here, with so many other variables to consider. Not prudent course of action, particularly in the case of a professional like your hubby.

So, so far Brian has the best suggestion for the moment in the gift certificate/arrangement sort of thing. Boy, so much better though if you could just present him something along the lines of what he actually wants. Not that he is completely sure of that himself at the moment.

Rick

#11 ·
Kate86, chefwriter is right. Sharpening gear definitely is something that will make a huge impact. And if we are talking about a budget of $1,000, then my imagination drools with suggestions.

First, talk with your hubby. Ask him about how he intends to sharpen his knives, especially whether his school taught him how to use stones. If he wants to, then getting a 500 - 1000 - 3000/5000 collection of waterstones will be the best possible thing you can get for him.

If he doesn't have familiarity with stones, then a tricked-out custom Edge Pro Shapton Glass Stone Set: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edproshglsts.html

It's from Chefknivestogo and has everything needed in one package (though some assembly may be required), at a price of $339.00.

I don't know if his intended workplace will supply a good cutting board, but even if not, he can always use a good one from The BoardSMITH. A basic end-grain hard maple board will cost $120.75. The site is here: http://theboardsmith.com/product/maple-2-x-12-x-18/

In a commercial kitchen, there is always the risk of theft. Getting an expensive knife as a gift and bringing it into the workplace can be upsetting if the gift develops legs. Instead, a less expensive gift, but still good quality, would be a MAC BK-100 knife, also from CKTG. Only $110 and not quite so attractive to a thief, but still very good quality. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/macchse10chk.html

Most of the rest, he probably has from culinary school, and your total budget for some very good tools is about $570. Maybe add some knives so you can share the kitchen with hubby, and you're all set to go.

Galley Swiller

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.