double amount needed, do i double up on all ingreidents?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by hmeah, Dec 15, 2011.

1. hmeah

hmeah

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I usually make 5kg of guacomole, i now need to start making 15kg, rather then make it in 3 batches, I'd like to do it all at once, I wanted to know would i triple all ingredients to make the 15kg? I use avocados, lime juice, olive oil, salt and coriander... 

Appreciate your advice chefs!

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Many formulas and reipes d not work like this. Also be careful when mixing a much larger amount that everything is totaly mixed together otherwise some part of batch will tast different. This is why most commercial operators add all ingredients in a liquid state for true disbursment.

hmeah likes this.
  3. hmeah

hmeah

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I do mash the avocados, grind the all the ingredients before mixing, what i wanted to know is that since i have tripled the avocados, should i also triple the amount of lime juice and salt? 

when i tasted it, seemed too much lime juice, as a general rule of a chef, should my chef use lime and salt according or like increase everything 3 folds?

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    you can always add more lime juice and salt, you can not take it away......less then add to taste.

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook

You can't take it away but you can add more avocados :)

soap likes this.
  6. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    • It's more likely you didn't mix your guacamole thoroughly than that that the lime juice doesn't multiply (it multiplies fine). 
    • Lime juice intensity varies from lime to lime.
    • The citrus/lime taste from fresh limes fades so quickly, and is so pleasant with guacamole and nearly every other avocado dish, you might want to consider adding half of it a minute and per portion.
    BDL

7. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    There ya go!

8. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Sure you can add more Avacado but then you are making maybe more then you need.

9. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef

Never!