Dont't Worry, Our Seafood is Safe?????Government Say's

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by chefedb, Nov 1, 2010.

1. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    This is what the article in my local paper says. That all the seafood tested near the oil spill is ALMOST OK. The FDA and USDA tested 1735 samples and only found less the 1% contamination. Well to me thats scary. That only 1735 samples out of millions of pounds of seafood was tested. The sampling should be on going . It has already been established that much of the residue of the cleaning agents, de-greasers ,and surficants used to control the oil spill are still submerged and will be for a long time. What will this cause in the long term??  Anyone who believes anything that they say is ill advised.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    No argument with your basic premise, Ed. But there are tests and there are tests.

Given the nature of the contaminents, for instance, it's easy to surmise that oysters are perhaps less safe than, say, pelargic species such as shrimp. So it would be interesting to know what is meant by "seafood" in the testing. And the size of each sample.

Kind of reminds me when I lived in the upper Midwest, and they were constantly issuing advisors against the eating of Great Lakes salmon. Once the testing protocols were understood, it became a non-issue for most people.

3. tylerm713

tylerm713

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Did it say what the sample size was? If they drew 1735 5lb samples, that would seem stronger than 1735 individual species.

Anyway, what I'm hearing is that most seafood is fine. I would just hope that people don't stop buying Louisiana products. We need the business.

4. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    My whole point is I would never trust the FDA or USDA. or for that matter any politically controlled testing of anything.

5. tylerm713

tylerm713

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

Fair enough.

6. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ah yes "Caveat mandere"!