Donairs

Joined Nov 20, 2000
While participating in an Ice Hockey BB I came across this recipe. I'm posting it as it was posted.
I got the impression that it was the Canadian version of a Gyro.
Any opinions or comments?

ok, for those interested, here we go...get 3 pounds of ground beef, double ground if posssible. Add 3/4 cup bread crumbs, 2 tsp pepper,2 tsp cayenne pepper, 2 tsp oregano,1/2 tsp basil, 3 tsp paprika, 2 tsp onion powder, 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt, pinch of curry, 1 tbsp msg..thats right, 1 tbsp " blends the flavours together". now, make 3 small loaves out of this, and place on a broiler rack, or any rack will do, and place a drip pan underneath. Bake at 350 for an hour to an hour and a half, or till done to your liking. Baste with drippings after a half hour. SAUCE...1 can evaporated milk, add i can sugar, 1/2 tsp garli powder...blend well..slowly add 1/4 cup vinegar , mixing SLOWLY till it thickens..stick in fridge, oh, it tends to work better if the milk and mixing utensils are cold. now, when you want to eat, just take a pita, dip in cold water quickly, then heat in a frying pan with a touch of oil, appx 10 seconds per side in a medium heated pan. slice meat, heat in pan then toss on pita..add sauce, then diced tomatoes, onions, top with grated mozza..melt under broiler, wrap it up the enjoy! Now, this is just a receipe, adjust certain tastes to your liking!if you don't like it, then it was my wife's recipe

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
A pinch of curry? Whoosh! Must be some spicy stuff! :D :) Yep it looks a little like Gyros!

Kuan

Joined Dec 12, 2000
At the risk of treading into some uncharted waters, I do believe that gyros and donairs are two different items. because I have seen both on restaurant menus.

Joined May 26, 2001
They're similar but very different. Gyros = Greek; donair/doner = Turkish. I think one of our members who had lived in Germany posted praises of doner kebap, which is as ubiquitous there (due to the multitude of Turkish "guest workers" who stayed) as McDonald's everywhere else.

Top Bottom