doing justice to good pork

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by powerdog, Jun 13, 2015.

1. powerdog

powerdog

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm going to buy a couple of locally-raised pork chops from a butcher. My question is, what's a good, simple way to bring out the flavor of the pork? 

2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Grill or pan fry, minimal seasoning, don't overcook. They probably won't need a brine.

mjb.

3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    That, plus salt & pepper.

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Simple is best! Grill them on th BBQ if possible.

Pan searing is good too. Salt generously and add pepper too, then pan sear like a good steak adding a bit of fresh thyme and butter to the pan during the last bit of cooking. I like to add lemon juice too, it really cuts nicely through the fat. Rest and eat!

5. farmerbrown

farmerbrown

Exp:
    At home cook
    No hot peppers?  I always love a little heat with grilled or seared pork.  It just seems like it belongs.

6. allanmcpherson

allanmcpherson

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    It totally depends on how thick the chops are, how fatty they are, and what your mood is.  

7. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    I dunno. I would disagree about the brine. Some salt, pepper, water, and 1/4 chopped onion and garlic soaking overnight. 

Those are all compliments to the pork flavor, and the brine brings out the juiciness. 

8. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    For some expert tips on cooking pork "tenderloin", check this out. Pay close attention about 1:40 into it.

9. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I agree on the cut/thickness.  Sometimes, I find pork can be boring/bland on its' own.  Many ways to go.  An indoor grill is an option, if you don't have an outdoor grill.  Season to taste with herbs/spices of choice or a Greek seasoning (Cavender's as I recall).  If it's thick, consider cutting a pocket and stuffing.  Or  prepare a sauce - mushroom, mushroom marsala, or go fruity.  Lots of options.

10. mtullius

mtullius

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I would pan fry so you have drippings for gravy.

11. ben oliver

ben oliver

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Grilling them will be your best bet. You don't want to use any over powering spice. Don't over cook neither as this will result in an unsatisfactory result

12. kingfarvito

kingfarvito

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I'm assuming you're looking at 1.5" chops, I would heat a pan up just until its smoking. Add a splash of oil, and season your chops. Drop them into the pan with a couple of whole cloves of garlic. after 2 minutes flip and add a knob of butter and some thyme. use the drippings and oils to baste the chops until they're at medium. 

13. chefaran

chefaran

Exp:
    Private Chef
    brine..............hands down

14. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Brining will increase the water content therefore diluting the flavor of the meat. I wouldn't brine a good piece of meat like that.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  15. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    That's a fascinating contraversy... But I don't brine either. Doesn't do enough in my experience.

16. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    If this pork is from a nice heritage, heirloom or whatever pig, it should have enough marbling so that brining is not necessary.  Brining is also not necessary for slabs of factory farmed, mass produced stuff that already contains up to 15% salt solution.

mjb.